slats8282
Newly Registered

What are these bugs? Wiping my garden out, Please help

What are these bugs and how to get rid of them, hopefully organically? They have already took out all of our green beans, lima beans, asparagus beans, garden beans, snap peas, sugar peas, yellow squash, butternut squash, cucumbers, zucchini, and cantaloupes. We do have some random caterpillars, and I'm in South Florida so I know the heat has effected alot of it also. But I tried the Safer® Brand Diatomaceous Earth powder 2 applications about a week or 2 apart, this combined heat and bugs, I guess chemically burnt alot of it out also. But now I'm trying to save my tomatoes and okra and what ever else I can thats still doing ok or might make a come back.
Attachments
20150528_191126_Michlar_Dr[1].jpg

applestar
Mod

Based on this article, it looks like you have Green Stink Bug. Take a close look at the description of the stink gland pattern described for positive ID. There is a link on the page for the other possibility which is Southern Green Stink Bug (actually the illustrations for comparing the two on the Southern Green Stink Bug page are a bit clearer IMHO)

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg ... nk_bug.htm
Biological control. Green stink bugs have numerous natural enemies. Birds, toads, spiders, other insect-eating animals and even other insects prey on them. . The various life stages of the green stink bug may be parasitized by species of Hymenoptera and Diptera.

Egg of Tricopoda pennipes, a tachinid parasitic fly, on left wing pad of a 5th instar nymph of the green stink bug, Chinavia halaris (Say).

Figure 14. Egg of Tricopoda pennipes, a tachinid parasitic fly, on left wing pad of a 5th instar nymph of the green stink bug, Chinavia halaris (Say). Photograph by Herb Pilcher, USDA-ARS, Bugwood.org.

Chemical control. Insecticide application for control of stink bugs in many crops is often warranted.

imafan26
Mod

Stink bugs are nasty and they cause a lot of damage in a short time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”