Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

5 big beds of lettuce ready to eat!

I have been eating lettuce for over a month but now my outside lettuce beds are all 9 inches high! I got a little smarter this year and put screens on pegs about 15 inches above the lettuce and placed lattice on top of the screens to help cool and shade it. I think I will get a few more weeks before it starts to go to seed from the heat!

With the screens even the hard rain does not mat it down. I sprinkled some Epsom salts to kill the small snails which put lots of small holes in lettuce. I also have carrots and radish mixed in the lettuce beds which will remain after the lettuce is to old! Mixed colors in the lettuce bed looks great. I bordered all the lettuce beds with onions.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a great idea with the protective shades and cover. I harvested some of my best lettuce yesterday since hard rain was predicted in the late PM to overnight.

BTW those baby slugs are the worst! They got to some of my chinese cabbage. :evil:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ah, now it's my time to be envious of your growing conditions. My lettuces played out several weeks ago when they bolted and went to seed almost overnight. Way too warm now for me to even attempt to grow any of the leafy stuff until sometime in late September.

So, for now it's off to the store for 6 packs of romaine to help with my lettuce jones. But I sure miss the variety I had with at least 8 different types and textures to pick for salads.

imafan26
Mod

Five beds of lettuce, wow. That is great. I hope you like salad and sandwiches. I plant ten heads or less and they still end up bolting, I cannot eat it all.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

That is a lot of lettuce. Mine is just coming up. My boys are mostly meat and potatoes so the lettuce is for daughter and me . The lettuce lasts 2 to 3 months here before it bolts. Though the year is weird, hot one day, cold the next. The screens are a great ides. I have many old window screens I used to cover the strawberries last year from most of the birds.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My lettuce is still really nice and still covered with screens. I put Epsom salt powder on the lettuce after seeing lots of little snail and now they are all gone in one day!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”