woodardhsd
Newly Registered

Cucumber help needed

First off, this is my first time planting any sort of vegetable so I have not idea what I'm doing. That said, I bought a patio pickers container from Lowe's, along with the required supplies. I decided to plant a tomato, cucumber, and my wife wanted a strawberry plant.

The cucumber plant took off all of a sudden after a really slow start and I hadn't created any support for it. I got around to putting some bamboo stakes and used some string I had lying around to tie it off. Either I used the wrong type of string, or tied it too tight, but I have caused some damage to the main stem. I'm not sure it will recover, but I wanted to get some advice before I cut the damaged part off.

Here are a couple pf pictures of the damage. The main stem goes up around 6" to 8", there's one "branch" that goes off to the right, and then the damage above it. There is at least 18" of growth above the damaged spot, but it is not looking too good right now.

https://I.imgur.com/GAzD3Sl.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/aUmcWni.jpg

Here is a close-up view of the damaged area:

https://I.imgur.com/8L9OkUf.jpg

Is there anything I can do to save the plant above the bad spot?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Just cut off the upper growth. 18" of growth on a cucumber vines in nothing with the way they grow. I've got mine in the ground and they are now trained on a 24 ft. long by 6 ft. trellis and they are going nuts with the rain and heat we're currently having.

woodardhsd
Newly Registered

Sorry, I had a typo in my original post. I meant the stem goes up 6" - 8" , not 6'8". Basically, if I cut this part off, I would be losing 75% of the total plant.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

In that case, why not just pull what is there and start with new seeds. It is early in the cucumber growing season and they grow so fast that it may not be worth trying to save the plant/plants already damaged. My cucumber plants are growing enough each day that I can see the growth from day to day as it climbs the trellis.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, as long as the other part that is attached is still looking good and green, it is still getting enough nutrients and water through it. If it has smaller leaves, then yes, maybe better to start over.

Plants that need a trellis should have the trellis in place at the same time as you plant. If you planted all three of these in one container it is just as well, the tomato will probably need the entire container. If it is a big tomato, the patio picker may actually be a bit small.

woodardhsd
Newly Registered

Thought I would update this thread. I cut off the cucumber at the dead spot. It kept on growing up from the other branch and has climbed up my "trellis" 3'-4' now. Thanks for the advice.

Here is a close-up of the first cucumber. It's almost a foot long now. I'm not sure how long to wait before picking it. How do I know when it's ready?

woodardhsd
Newly Registered

Pretty sure it's a Bonnie burpless cucumber.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I would pick it too. If you wait too long they lose here taste and become woody with seeds. Unless you are collecting seeds then wait until it turns yellow.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Once that one is picked, the plant will produce more. You don't want it to think its biological imperative to bear mature seeds has been satisfied.

If you find that the cucumber's skin and seeds are already too tough to eat, peel the skin and scrape the seeds out with a spoon. If the flesh has turned watery and less crisp, they are better eating when sautéed then made into part of a strongly flavored sauce -- I like them in garlicky pasta sauce or Chinese/Mongolian lamb/pork/beef. Don't overcook or they will melt away.

imafan26
Mod

Pick cucumbers at 6 to 8 inches. If it starts to turn yellow, it is too old.

jsturm

Nice pic, looks like your cucumber and tomato plants at doing well. Judging from the blossoms on your vine you will have more cucumbers soon. Enjoy.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

There are several types of cukes, from the small pickling, to slicing to the long curly ones. Cukes can be harvested at any stage, depends on what you want to do with them. I plant them in hills 5 seeds to a hill, with hills spaces 5 feet apart. Just let them sprawl on the ground, the vines go out like the spokes of a wheel and it makes a nice cucumber patch.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”