morrisdirector
Newly Registered

Help! Something ate my beet leaves! Pic attached

Hi Everyone,

Help! I am a new gardner and I am not sure what ate my beet leaves. I built a nice square-foot garden and so far everything is thriving quite nicely. I had a 1 foot square of beets planted (I believe 9 to a square), and in the course of one night all but two of the sprouts are left. Interestingly, radishes are right next to it and absolutely no damage done. I do not believe it's due to any kind of bug or slug because the leaves were chomped off right at the stems.
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1389.JPG
Our neighborhood has a ton of birds, rabbits and squirrels all over the place. My guess is it's one of those. Any suggestions?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

The fact that this travesty happened overnight leads me to rabbits (or groundhog, or deer, if that's possible). Rabbits LOVE all sorts of greens. While your beet seedlings "may" regrow, you need to get some type of woven-wire fencing around your beds asap.

morrisdirector
Newly Registered

Thank you GardeningCook! I will try that! My guess is you are right. The area is fenced in... sort of. It's in an area that used to be a dog run, but definitely big enough spots for a rabbit to squeeze through. No deer would be able to get in, and it's unlikely groundhogs too. I see rabbits running around all the time in our neighborhood, night and day. I have a lot of lettuce growing too. Sounds like I need to cover it all up with wire mesh!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”