Toxic1979

Artichoke (Tavor)... 10 Degrees for 10 Days ???

I'm currently growing some Artichoke, as an annual. I'm going to try them and see if they will produce anything in my region. They seem to be a fairly trouble free plant so far. I'm reading that they need to experience 10 days of 10 degree celsius weather, in order to make them think that they have gone through a winter, and then they will produce artichokes.

That weather is not hard to do in my area for 10 days. Problem is I will not see 10 celsius in the evening for about a month. During the day I will. Evening temp will fall to near ) celsius. My artichokes are growing well, so far, from the pictures below.

Can I use the Fridge to expose them to a near 10 degree celsius environment? For 10 Days.... or will this completely kill them. I can get the basement down to about 10 celsius, by turning off all heat for a 10 days.

Or do I even need to place them in this climate? I do have a short growing season. It starts roughly mid May and ends Mid September.
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG
Thanks in advance!

Toxic1979

Anyone know if the 10 Celsius for 10 days is a must or a suggestion.. if they are being grown as an annual.

applestar
Mod

I love eating artichokes but have yet to try growing them.
I was going to try based on this post by grrlgeek, but didn't get the chance. Maybe for next year....

So I can't answer your question, but maybe you will find this interesting?

Subject: First Harvest of Spring - Coolest thing I've ever grown!
grrlgeek wrote:@webmaster - thank you!

@lakngulf - truer words were never spoken!

@applestar - I bet you could! I think you can dig them up in the fall too, because culture information I've been reading says to divide them when they're nearing the end of their productive years. In the winter I only watered maybe once a week, and just a splash or three. They just sat there, not growing, waiting. The spot they were in got only a few hours of direct sun as well. Here's the seed packet info:

Emerald produces a thornlesss, glossy, buttery flavored artichoke for home gardeners, that can also be used in landscaping. Heads are globe in shape, achieve large size and have wonderful eating quality of the inner artichoke hearts. Emerald is a good source of vitamins A, B, and C. Also a source of potassium, sodium, protein and iodine. Produces quality artichokes over a longer period. Can be used in a variety of recipes. 180-360 days to harvest.

Start seeds indoors in a sunny location 6 weeks prior to warm weather. Transplant outdoors when seedlings display 4-6 leaves and weather is warm.. Seed can be direct-sown when soil is warm.. Thin or transplant when plants have 4-6 leaves. Although heads can be harvested the first year, it is advised that the plants be cut back to allow for greater yields during the following years. Emerald should overwinter well and will produce artichokes to eat in the spring. PVP.

From the breeder's website, https://www.emeraldartichoke.com/emerald.html (which seems to be no longer up and running)

---by Eleanor Kurupas, wife of Tom Kurupas, owners of Kurupas Enterprises---

"Our artichoke experience began over 24 years ago in our orchard when we were given a few plants that were thorny and irregular in size and shape, but were acclimated to our desert temperatures. Every spring Tom gave strict orders not to cut any artichokes to eat. He was going to play "Mother Nature" and cross pollinate plants that had the desired traits we were looking for. A few years later, we extended our planting to 3 acres with seed from selected hand pollinated artichoke flowers. In the selection of our Emerald Artichoke, what we looked for were artichokes that were, thornless, glossy, flavorful and prolific; also we wanted artichokes that could withstand a certain amount of cold weather. Many people who enjoy the Emerald Artichoke encouraged us to seek a plant variety patent from the USDA office. In 1992 we received our patent. As a family, we are offering home growers and ornamental growers the opportunity to grow our artichoke. We are finding out that artichokes can be grown in many areas first thought impossible."

Let us know if you decide to add artichoke to your winter menagerie!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”