LilyB
Newly Registered

Tomato Cages for cucumbers/beans question

For those of you who have done this how does it work? How many seeds do you generally plant at the bottom? I'm guessing you have used the taller cages as well. Do they need to be stakes or can it be done without? I have 2 raised beds and this seems like an easier option and looks doable. Anyone has any pictures if you have done it?

applestar
Mod

If you are talking about useless-for-tomato cages, I only use them for less than 4' at maturity dwarf tomatoes and smaller pepper plants. I can't imagine them being sufficient for pole beans and cukes.

If using the 54'" tall four-legged ones, then it might be possible to use if you zip tie sturdy metal or bamboo stakes (or PVC pipes) as cross beams across the tops and at least one of the mid level rings on both sides to connect them together into a more sturdy framework. I'm picturing maybe 1 cucumber plant per cage and two rows of pole beans on either side 6" apart.... But I've never tried this so I can be sure.

Hmm... I think I would pound in a sturdy stake to tie the end cages to for support. If you use a 6-7ft stake pounded down to 5-6ft, then you would have the option to raise the trellis to the top of the stake height if necessary.

applestar
Mod

...I don't know... After all that, it seems better to just build cucumber/bean sized trellis.... :?

Here are some photos from previous year:

Arch trellis used to be my only pole bean support. Works very well since the beans hang down.

Started like this

Added these

Ended up like this:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”