RedBeard1987

Can't catch a break. FROST!!!

So I was all prepared to put out all 45+ tomato plants in the garden today. Watching the news this morning and they are calling for frost tonight!!! :evil: low 30's is what they predict. Today is pretty much the only day I have to do this. its usually dark by time I get home from work and my other day off its supposed to thunderstorm all day! :roll: I do have a frost blanket but have never used one. how effective are they? would you risk it? these babies are getting to big to be in solo cups much longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How hardened off are they? If they've been out for awhile and been through some chilly nights already, I would go for it. Tomatoes are tougher than we think. Mine went through some nights right down close to freezing. But the hardening off part is critical.

Do you know how your micro-climates are? I know that our weather forecasts come from the Cincinnati airport, which is actually out in nowhere, Kentucky. For me in the middle of the city heat island, my garden is usually 2-3 degrees warmer than the forecast. Your property can also have micro-climate variations, so a south facing bed is warmer than a north facing one and low spots can collect cool air etc. So if you have some of this kind of thing working for you, that can make you a little more confident.

Good Luck!

RedBeard1987

they have been hardening off for quite some time now. in and out of the garage almost every day. I think I'm going to go for it. or half of it at least! ill cover with the frost blanket just to be on the safe side.

applestar
Mod

That's the spirit! I hope all goes well. :D

RedBeard1987

well I put out a total of 13 plants out of....70?!?!?! had no idea I had that many! for some reason I was thinking I had around 50. whoops :>

so I put in 8 romas and 5 Early harvest. I have another set of these ready to go if they don't make it. I'm pretty confident that they will make it just fine. I just checked the weather and now its saying 45 for the low tonight! thanks a lot morning news for making me stress!!! :-? So I'm not even going to cover them. they have been through cooler nights than that.

thanks for the quick responses guys! I can always count on this forum for great advice!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I feel your pain! :!: We are still having temps in the 30's at night, supposedly until next week. I am tired of babysitting them. I lost another flat of tomatoes to the wind. :evil:

It keeps shifting directions and tossing the plants. I just want them in the ground already so they don't blow away but I hate going out every night and trying to cover them with something that the wind would not blow away. So I keep dragging them around.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dragging them around sounds like as much work as covering them and they would probably be better off in the ground!

But yes, I hate this time in spring when temps are so all over the place and the cold keeps coming back. We were down to 39 last night and mid-40's tonight. All my stuff has been in the ground for a long time and I'm very busy these days, so everything is just having to tough it out...

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Well, it is still raining and will continue into the weekend and now they are talking low's in the 20's and possible snow. :eek: So I am glad I am still dragging them around. Though it's been raining to much, and to much wind so they are sitting inside and I will have to start hardening off all over again but at least I will still have the plants.

imafan26
Mod

Frost in May, wow? O.k. I guess you don't want to hear about how I forgot to put on my sunscreen and looked like a steamed lobster at the end of the day or that our weather is normal at around 80 degrees during the day and close to 70 at night.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”