Majortom71
Newly Registered

Mushroom in the herb pot - Is it safe to leave it there?

Hi gang,

I was checking out my garden and noticed a white mushroom had grown in my thyme/tarragon pot. I am not sure if I should leave it or remove it. I am trying to figure out what type of mushroom it is but I am no expert. It does have a white underside which I've heard could be poisonous.
I took a picture to see if anyone here can identify it. Also is it safe to keep in the pot or should I remove it? I know mushrooms give off spores so I am not sure if that can "contaminate" my herbs. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to these thing. :-?

Thanks for any advice, here are the pictures I took:
https://postimg.org/image/rj73qlcoh/
https://postimg.org/image/3m3tfcsv3/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't eat the mushroom without a positive ID from expert, but it is harmless to your plants. You can remove it or leave it, whatever you feel like.

But mushrooms like lots of moisture; thyme and tarragon don't. The fact that the mushroom popped up in your herb container suggests to me that you are keeping the container potting mix too damp, too much of the time. The herbs will start to suffer from the damp, not from the mushroom. Let the pot dry out pretty well before you water again.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Mushrooms have always fascinated me, & even though I own several field guides dedicated to them, except for a couple of species that have no deadly counterparts, you won't catch me fooling with them.
But while it won't "contaminate" your herbs, I suggest that you do remove it (& wear gloves &/or wash your hands thoroughly afterwards).

(Oh, & rainbowgardener is right in that your potting mix may be a wee bit on the overly damp side. . .)

Majortom71
Newly Registered

Thanks gang, I went ahead and removed it.
Also yea I'll hold of on watering that pot till it dries properly, I just have been watering it daily like other plants but you're right thyme does not require much water.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what other plants you have, but watering daily is rarely a good thing. Water thoroughly to be sure that all the soil in the container is moistened and then don't water again until at least the top few inches have dried.

If you are just watering the surface, daily, then your plants will just grow surface roots, which are very vulnerable to drying, getting burned, pests, etc. If you are watering thoroughly the whole soil volume daily, then everything is staying way too wet.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”