resarae
Newly Registered

Leaf footed stink bugs

I live in Houston tx. My garden is being invaded by leaf footed stink bugs. I've tried Spinocide (sp?) it's not working. Any suggestions?

applestar
Mod

I wonder if stinkbug trap works on leaf foots. Rainbowgardener made one for the (I think) Brown Marmorated Stinkbugs that overwinter in the house. I can't remember if she had posted instructions or link to instructions she used to make the DIY trap.

imafan26
Mod

Those things would invade my yard every summer and eat everything down to the ground. I ended up having to net by entire garden but that only worked as long as I could keep them outside.

They are hard to get rid of

I heard of using kaolin clay to keep them from laying eggs

Spraying the perimeter to keep them from coming into the home or vegetable garden

Attracting beneficial insects, which would preclude spraying.

I read that damp towels hung over railings and lawn chairs attract them overnight and the towels can be collected and tossed into a bucket of soapy water to kill them.

They are attracted to light so traps can be placed under lights

Other than that, it is the usual, hand picking and trying to get rid of alternate hosts like weeds, debris, boards.

catgrass
Green Thumb

They love sunflowers, so I always plant a few on the exterior of my garden. When they are clustered there, easy to kill.

feldon30

If you can find them, you can try removing them from the garden with a portable battery-powered vacuum cleaner, ie a Dustbuster.

Another solution is to grow a trap crop like Millet or Sunflowers and then that makes the Dustbuster part easier.

I know of no organic spray that will kill or even mildly annoy stink bugs or leaf footed bugs.

imafan26
Mod

They are hard bodied so the usual insecticidal soap and oils probably won't do much. Pyrethrins are the next step up, but they are toxic to bees and beneficail insects and you would need to wash the fruit and make sure you read and follow the label precautions.

You can use row covers, but you have to make sure the bugs aren't already inside.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”