Cool Member

Too tight

How is the spacing between plants?
Attachments
IMG_20150506_162918.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Re: Too tight

You may have to divide or transplant the strawberries in a year or two, but I think the lettuces & kale will be alright.
My body is a temple. Unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper.

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

I think I would put the kale evenly spread apart in the back, then put the lettuce in between and around. Kale could also handle the reflected heat from the box behind it better than the wilty lettuce. The red lettuce looks good next to the frosty blue green of kale. Remember, too that the lettuce is going to be harvested and gone, then you will be using the space for something else -- maybe bush beans.

Strawberries should be planted 12 inches apart. You can plant somewhat closer if you control the number of runners you allow to grow and touch down, or if you don't intend to let any grow at all, but each strawberry plant will easily grow 8-12" long roots and they tend to be shallow. In fact, if that back box is all the way deep and if there is not bottom to these boxes, then I would use the deep back box for something other than strawberries. Strawberries can go in the front box.

The shallower rooted lettuce could go in the upper boxes, even the top box between and behind the shade of bigger, deeper rooted plants like tomatoes or eggplants (or cucumbers for example) and be harvested and gone by the time those plants grow enough to want the space. You could also grow things that need the depth like carrots in the top box. In the scheme of things, peppers are somewhat shallower rooted so they could probably go in the middle box.

(I know you have another thread about your garden. Was there a reason you made this thread separate from your other thread? It might have been better to discuss all this in the same thread. I can't remember what all you are planning to grow.)

I would put medium tall/root depth plants like basil in the middle box. I would actually put the kale in the middle box.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Thanks star for the detailed advice. I should of gave more information but I was in a rush. There is garden in front of the raised beds, not the best location but iam limited on space. My plan is having tomato plants in the garden (mortgage lifter, black cherry, a couple of other types not sure yet I try to get uncommon ones) the way the sun is iam figuring the tomato plants will shade the bottom 2 rows. Thats why I put the strawberries on top. I used cynder blocks to take up space in the back row I know its still over kill for the depth strawberries need. I love the idea of the kale and the lettuce together. I might dig it up and do it like that iam just too tired today long day.
Thank you so much "superstar" for all the information you have given me. I trust you much more than surfing the net and getting 5 million opinions. You are correct I probably shouldnt havent started a new thread probably better for me and the community to keep it condensed.

imafan26
Mod

Lettuce can be 8-10 inches apart and they are good planted between other things as they will be pulled before the other plants need the space. They only need 4 inches depth minimum and in the summer heat could sometimes use a little shade provided by other plants.

The kale looks like a dino kale, toscano or lacinato kale. They can get very tall and are cut and come again. They may benefit from a deeper root space. and allowance for height and a longer growing season. Mine got about 6 ft tall and it had large side shoot/branches. I put mine in a pot but if you are not going to keep them until they get that tall, they can be planted 12-16 inches apart. staggered planting will maximize the use of the space. It tastes better in cooler weather. Hot weather makes them more bitter.

Kale companions are beets, onions, and potatoes. They do not like the company of strawberries, beans or tomatoes. In the cool season kale can be planted in full sun, but during the warmer months they are better off with morning sun only.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”