Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yellow seedling leaves

yellow tomato leaves.JPG
This is scary. I'm raising seedlings exactly the same (I think) as I did last year in the little grow cells. Last year was great, this year having this problem. Hope these photos load, first time of putting up a photo. Anyone have any thoughts? Using the same gro lites, soil mix as last year, don't know what's different!
Attachments
yellow pepper leaves.JPG

imafan26
Mod

For me the most likely cause of yellow leaves on seedlings is too much water and/or a media that is too compacted or fine so it does not drain fast enough.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your seedling leaves are not only yellowing, they are starting to get chlorotic, staying green along the veins and yellowing in between. Chlorosis is a sure sign of nutrient deficiency - can be various nutrients, nitrogen, potassium, iron, or all of the above.

But imafan is right, the cause of the deficiency is not usually lack of fertilization or lack of nutrients in the soil. It is over-watering, compact soils, high soil pH or other conditions that make it hard for the plant to take up the nutrients.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thanks for the thoughts. I figured you guys would say too much water, but if I hold off too long, the plants start to droop. I'm using the same Jiffy mix I used last year, in fact, it's even the same bag since I had some left over.

Thinking back, maybe I did tend to pack it into the cells a little harder this time, and hence unknowingly compacted it too much...don't know. Next time if I use the Jiffy mix, maybe I should add some perlite chunks and/or some coarse vermiculite pieces.

Wonder if it's too late to do something. Maybe take a toothpick or something, carefully poke holes or try to dig down a little and loosen the grow mix?

Thank you guys for your time!

imafan26
Mod

When my mix does not drain well, I get a chopstick and poke it up from the drain hole to make a passage. I don't use cells though, but 4 inch pots. You could use something smaller like a coffee stirrer.

Most seeds contain enough nutrients to get plants over the hump until the true leaves come out. If there is not fertilizer in the starter mix, then you should start 1/4 strength fertilizer feedings.

Sometimes wilting is not because the media is dry but because it is too wet and the roots are either drowning or dead.

If the plants wilt and you can feel that the media is still wet or worse yet you can actually squeeze out water, then they are wilting because of that and not because they need water. Once roots get in trouble on seedlings, sometimes you can't really save them because they damp off. If you are reusing container, make sure that you sterilize them first in 10% bleach to make sure they are not carrying any fungal spores.

When I fill my seed pots, I don't pack the soil at all. I just make sure the media is moist but not soggy, just friable, so I can squeeze it into a clump that will hold together and without squeezing out any water. I loosely fill my 4 inch pots, put the seeds on top and sprinkle more soil over. For very small seed, I don't cover at all. I water them in and the water, will settle the media without pressing.

I don't use cell trays much because, they are very easy to over water and the compots take up less space on my bench.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks for all your suggestions Imafan! I copied your response to save in my document called "gro lite setup".
Didn't know that about sterilizing the pots. Will do that from now on. It seems like the Jiffy mix is ok, has a little lime in it I see to help with ph.
I will try to create some more drainage in the pots tomorrow with the toothpick.
I think I will start some more tomato seeds tomorrow. If I can get 4 weeks growth on some new ones I can still set them out, tho they'll be a little late. I'll probably be stuck with the peppers as they are tho, not really enough time to start new ones.

Last year I had the best seed starting success I ever had, and just assumed it would be the same this time! Feeling incredibly confident about it...:) I started all my stuff later this year, because last year I was too early. One downside of starting later, if you fail then you don't have much time to start over I see!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

They're more than ready to be put in larger pots. Give em' somewhat loose fertile soil and they'll come back looking healthy.

imafan26
Mod

You could still purchase the pepper starts although you won't have a lot of choices.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Yeah, maybe I will repot a few and see what happens. What have I got to lose? I could go buy some too, I guess, it kinda goes against my grain tho! My garden isn't that big, it wouldn't cost much.

Thanks.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I think you are getting too concerned with droop. Plants rebound very quickly when watered. Not droop to the extreme, but not allowing the soil (or growth medium) to remain wet all the time. It's one of the signs (and just one of them) that it's time to water.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”