laurap
Newly Registered

Tomato problem (with picture)

Hi there,
My name is Laura and I'm a second year tomato plant gardener. Last year I had good results, but I've really wanted to take it to the next level this year. I bought 6 plants from a local farm, and 5 of them are doing wonderfully! Unfortunately, my Pink Caspian is having some trouble, which I find weird because I've done the same thing to it that I've done to my other perky plants!
I started with excellent soil, used fish meal, bone meal, aspirin, worm castings, and mycorrizhae.
The plant looks wilted even with adequate water (I think? I watered 6 days ago and completely saturated the plant. I checked the soil this morning by digging about 4" down, and it's still nice and moist) The leaves are turning yellow near the bottom. What's going on here?! Here's a picture of the leaves.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Hello Laura, and welcome... your picture is showing me a diseased plant. If your local farm seller received them from another green house it could have started there. I have to say it is looking like tobacco mosaic virus, which is transmitted by handling an infected plant and then a healthy one, or brushing each other. Even insects can transmit the virus. Greenhouse plants are more susceptible to the virus due to the handling.
If you agree to this, you will have to place your plant in the trash.

laurap
Newly Registered

Hi Shadylane,
Thank you so much for your advice. I believe you are right. The plant has since wilted even more since this post. I'm hoping that I caught it in time and that I moved it away from my other tomato plants fast enough before spreading it.
I did get it from a green house who grows these tomatoes from seeds, so I'm really hoping that my other plants won't turn on me!!
Thanks again for the information, and off to the garbage it goes! :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”