vaporizer

are these bean plants the same?

I bought two bean plants. both were labeled Blue Lake Bush Beans. I am a first season gardener, but they look different to me. one looks like a pole bean. any insight would be helpful. thanks in advance.
Attachments
beans 004.JPG
beans 003.JPG
beans 001.JPG

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Blue Lake- there are standard which are pole beans and bush blue lake. If it is spinning like that you need a trellis or pole for it to climb. It is very hard to tell one green bean variety from each other. That said the leaf pattern on the plant on the left is clearly different from the one on the right which makes me wonder if it is a green bean at all. I have never seen a variety whose leaves are shaped like that and I have grown 20-30 different varieties since I started as a small child.
Note in the future I would suggest planting beans from seed rather than buying plants, if you are going to grow them. To get much of a bean crop you need many plants.

vaporizer

thanks for the reply and knowledge. :D I have a package of bush blue lake 274 and bush eureka for next season and plan to go from seed for sure. I love eating beans. I bought those two plants on a whim because I had the room. I was hoping they were what I thought I bought, but I'll accept anything that lives and I can eat in my first season. I will definitely get something for the one on the right to climb now that I am accepting with your help that it isn't a bush bean plant. I'll post a pic here once I see some flowers and maybe that will help? it's not the biggest issue to not know what they are, but if I liked one it would be nice to know what it is. thanks again for the reply.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”