Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Rabbit round droppings excellent for new bed!

Today I put in a long 15 foot 3 foot wide bed of mixed crops. The bed consisted of a foot of old leaves left all winter at the bottom covered with a foot of top soil. I then raked in a bucket of rabbit droppings from the winter under the rabbit pen! Rabbit droppings mix easily with the soil and are not very hot since some is rolled up half digested greens! Has anyone else made use of rabbit droppings? I mixed lettuce carrots and beets in the bed!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Fresh manure and carrots makes for phunny divided-hairy carrots.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I just put a little in the bed. Also is that a play on words hairy carrots from a hairs droppings!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

N,o carrot if over fertilized will grow many tiny hair-like roots, and multiple 'legs'.

I only plant carrot on a bed that is one year past being fertilized.

Carrot does better in a soft and deeply spaded bed, but no manure.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Actually, while I can't say I'm an expert on its effect on root crops, rabbit manure is definitely one of the safest manures for plant use. In fact, I used it successfully for years - non-composted - in both my outdoor gardens & even my potted houseplants. So long as it isn't mixed in with rabbit urine-soaked bedding, I'd have no problem using it fresh anywhere in my garden.

But that's just my opinion - not a be all, end all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”