Kateandsam
Newly Registered

Cucumber/Tomato troubles....

Hello. I'm new here, did a search but don't seem to see any obvious answer to my question.

I have been using raised beds for about 15 years (3 different residences). The soil is made with peat moss/sand/compost/vermiculite with organic nutrients/lime/compost added yearly.
For the past 2 growing seasons I just can't get my tomatoes or cucumbers to do well, although in all other past seasons they were my prized crops and one of the reasons I love vegetable gardening. (Easy, prolific, tasty, etc...)

The following is basically what happens:
The vines are stunted (Used to grow past the top of my 7 foot trellis), now I'm lucky if they make it 2 feet.
They dry up and die off from the bottom up
The fruits I do get are completely mishapen, curly, ultra fat on one end, etc.
(This is pretty much the case with the tomatoes, except the fruits seem to be fine.)

I grow fabulous peppers, beans, onions, garlic, herbs and squash in the same soil.
There does not appear to be any beetles or aphids of any kind. No detectable fungus.

I generally plant transplants from the garden center, whatever variety happens to be available and looks interesting, so usually differnt varieties every year.

I do not really rotate the tomato/cuke crops as my trellises are located on the north side of the garden, but I do thoroughly turn the soil each year. Next year I do plan on moving them to a different spot.

Last year I chocked it up to the weather, but this year has been great, a bit dry, but I make sure I water deeply as needed during dry spells.

My guess is I have some sort of disease in the soil? Any idea what and how to get rid of it?

Yesterday I drove by a vegetable farm and they had huge, full, lush green tomato and cucumber plants and it got me to thinking what is wrong with mine lately! Sorry so long! Just trying to give as much info as possible because I am about to convert my raised beds to a flower garden!

Thanks so much for any insights or ideas! Maybe I can post some pictures later today.

Kateandsam
Newly Registered

https://veggies2007.shutterfly.com

Shouldn't need a password....

Included a picture of my Habaneros, so as not to feel like the season was a complete loss!

Thanks!

Coneflower

I can't say for certain as I'm no expert. However, I do know I've read in the past that it is essential to rotate the areas tomatoes are planted. Here is one comment from [url]https://www.money-saving-garden-tips.com/tomato-gardening.html[/url]
Here's something you'll want keep in mind from year to year: never plant tomatoes in the same space season after season. Why? Because of soil born diseases.

These diseases can overwinter and spoil your tomato crop the next year. Does this theory apply to any other veggies besides tomatoes? Nope. Nothing else I've found is quite as finicky. But rotating crops is a good practice anyway.

Just rotate your tomato garden from one section to another every year. You can go back to your original bed after a year, so it isn't as though you'll have to search high and low for just the right spot each season.

Keep your tomato crop happy and you'll be eating the love apples forever
Good luck!! I'm hoping I can get some Brandywine tomaotes planted next season!

Also - just wondering since you are buying whatever seedlings there are to offer - if they are determinate or indeterminate vines? This would account for the differences in size of the vines.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”