JodiInVA-USA

Trellis advice?

Last year I started very small with veg gardening - mostly just tomatoes, a little kale, etc. This year I want to expand and include some things that I believe should have trellises, particularly green beans and cucumbers. One of my issues is limited bed space (wood raised beds), so I want to use vertical space.

I have questions about adding trellises to my garden:
1) Best construction, e.g., wood frame with string inside? wood slats? wood frame with wire inside? other?
2) Best space between wood/string/wire, e.g., dimensions of openings?
3) Best way to secure them? I am planning to have a long, narrow bed extend pretty much to the fence line (tall, wood privacy fence separating my yard from neighbors where neighbor has raised veg garden beds up to fence also), and thought I'd install a trellis in the 3' end that will touch (or close to it) the fence. Maybe secure the trellis either to the inside wall of the bed (footers down in the soil) or the outside. And thinking that I'll need to secure the top/middle of the trellis to the fence for stability. The bed height is about 10-12"
4) Am I right to think about having the trellis go up the fence? This is what the neighbor did on the other side of the fence and it seemed to work for him... I see gardens with trellises in the middle, and wonder how they avoid falling over with the weight of the plants on them?
5) If it is secured to the fence, is there a right/wrong distance between fence and trellis? Would I need an inch or two of separation so the vines can work their way around the trellis slats/strings/wires?

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you in advance for any answers or pointing me to a good resource. I've tried to do online research, but haven't found any sites that answer my questions.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll try to make this brief. I have 3 trellises in my garden at this time. All three are made of pressure treated 2 x 4's and heavy gauge wire with 4" x 6" openings in it. I used 8 ft. 2x4's and dug holes with my post hole digger about 2 ft. deep and put in the corner and center posts on my 24 ft. long trellis. I spaced them 8 ft. apart and used four 2x4's then I put in cross pieces at the top, bottom and middle using those metal connecting brackets you can get from any hardware store or home center. To this I covered it with the above mentioned wire with fence staples. I did add some bracing on the corners by running a couple boards on an angle and secured to a wood stake driven into the ground and along the end posts similar to what carpenters do to plumb a wall on a construction site. I like the sturdier heavier gauge wire with large openings as it allows for your hand to reach through and pick stuff from just one side if necessary. Small opening wire will require you to be able to get to both sides of the trellis to pick.

My trellises are now going on 6 years old and still strong and sturdy. It is a bit of an investment at first but pays off with longevity and making harvesting things like cucumbers, pole beans, peas, etc. so much easier. Plus, it is a heck of a space saver keeping all those vines off the ground.

JodiInVA-USA

Thanks Super Green Thumb - very helpful!

imafan26
Mod

If you want to put in a permanent trellis you could make them with wood or galvanized pipes.

Pipes work well and last longer than wood. They take longer to rot and termites don't eat them.

If you put them up at every corner of the garden and some every 4 ft around the perimeter and connect them in a rectangle you can use CRW or string trellis between the post. CRW roof will be strong enough to support a heavy vine like a gourd.

If it gets too hot, shade cloth can be put on top and when it gets cold it can be covered to help keep out the cold.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Metal T-post you get at Lowe's, etc. Hog wire-comes in a roll. Pound the T-post in the ground approx. 4 ft. apart, stretch your wire between the post securing them with zip-ties. Been doing this for lots of years. I have a small garden area, and this works for me without all the carpentry involved.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”