tommyblaze
Cool Member

artichokes

Iam in zone 7a long island new york. I picked a couple of artichoke plants from home depot. I was wondering if anybody had any success with them, or had some tips and tricks for them.
Thanks, tom

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've grown artichokes in the past. I've had them in my garden at least 3 times over the years and they are a beautiful plant. However, you need a lot of room for them. Each plant I had in my garden would get to at least 4 ft. tall and at least that wide, or wider when mature. So be prepared to lose a lot of room with them in the garden.

Only once did I get artichokes off them in the first year. They did much better the second year after over-wintering. After the first years growth died back in the late fall, I'd cut them back almost to the ground and cover them with a lot of mulch. They came back the next spring and that is when I got the most chokes off them. The first few chokes will be of decent size then they get progressively smaller as the season goes on. They kind of remind me of how broccoli produced a nice head at first then side shoots come in and get smaller as the plant ages. I do grow in zone 9 and my winters are much milder than your part of the world. I'm not sure how, or if, they would over-winter in your area. Best to check with a nursery in your area to see what they recommend.

I edited to add this. If let go to bloom, the chokes make one very beautiful flower.

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Thanks for the reply. I would love to get artichokes the first year, from what I have read you need the seedlings to to be in 50 degrees or below for 10 days. As of right now the temp drops below 50 everynight. So I think I might cross my fingers and go for it. I already have the plants in pots outside. It would stink if I didnt get any chokes because I have limited garden space.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, with limited space in your garden why not put them in a large container to not take up ground space. Something cheap like a large plastic garbage can cut down to a proper size as opposed to buying a $30-40 planter large enough for it to grow in. Just punch some holes in the bottom for drainage and fill with potting soil or a mix of that and garden soil.

Artichoke plants don't need any support like tomatoes and other large vegetable plants that I've grown in the past. A large planter would work out nice for you.

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Great idea thanks!

tommyblaze
Cool Member

I really want artichokes In their first season. I was thinking about keeping the plants in the fridge during the day for a week. Is that too crazy lol

erins327

Ive got em!

I'm in zone 8, so with your weather, I can't give you much information on when to plant so you have a productive crop.

Here in Central Texas, I started them from seed in August, planted in the ground in October, and on its first year, had 15 artichokes within 3 plants! I had the first year they usually don't grow artichokes, so I was very very excited.
I also made a whole section in the yard for them. They do get wide and huge, actually would make a wonderful landscaping plant.

I did not do any 'getting ready' of the seed beforehand, like putting them in the freezer for a week or two. And if anything here in Austin it was a pretty mild season, only 2-3 freezes I remember?

Good luck! Its worth the work!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”