Black River

Previous years potatoes not growing well

I planted some red potatoes that we stored in the basement from last year's harvest. They had begun to sprout when I planted them. I am only getting spotty growth, some coming up here and there. The seed potatoes I bought and planted for this year are doing well. But I never have much success from ones stored overwinter from the previous year. I know old homesteaders used to replant potatoes they had grown. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

When you cut up the potatoes, did you leave them dry for a day or so? I don't always, for me it doesn't seem to matter. But I have heard often, that letting them dry, lets them heal a little and keeps them from rotting in the ground. I am guessing this depends greatly on your soil and climate. I dig a hole, throw a piece in, water, and cover it up. They take off.

I try not to use ones that have long sprouts, and the potato isn't to dried up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Potatoes are susceptible to a variety of diseases. Usually seed potatoes are treated with a fungicide or sulfur powder to help them ward off disease. I am going to suggest that disease may be your problem. The certified seed potatoes are certified disease free and should do better. Also it helps to plant in a corner of the garden where potatoes have not been grown last year. In other words, rotate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”