Jray8

Is this Topsoil or Mulch? How to tell the difference?

I purchased a truckload of topsoil from a local bulk sand and soil vendor but I'm not sure I got topsoil. It looks more like finely ground mulch. Even smells like mulch. I don't think there's any actual soil in it. Just organic matter. Is this normal when purchasing topsoil?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, there's no real requirements that specify what "topsoil" must be. Finely ground organic mulch is way not the worst of what is sold as top soil, which can be stuff they dug out to make building foundations, clay and rock, etc. If what you have is really mostly ground up wood chips though, it will be quite low in nitrogen. You can get some bagged compost to go with it and well aged composted manure, to add the nitrogen. Otherwise your plants will be yellowish and stunted.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I would have to agree with you. It looks like mulch. When I think of topsoil, I think of dirt. But I have never had to buy it so I don't know what is acceptable. My concern would be that it won't hold much water.

imafan26
Mod

Topsoil is what you find in the first four inches or so of the forest floor. It usually has a lot of organic matter and decomposing leaves. It is usually teeming with microbes and other critters.

What is sold as topsoil, is often just screen dirt.

https://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/pdffiles/sfn14.pdf

Unless you have issues with your soil drainage or you are looking to replace the soil for some reason, it is best to amend what you have with organic matter. Get a soil test to determine what nutrients you need to add and if the pH needs to be adjusted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Look in the yellow pages for "Sand and Gravel", also "Concrete". The outfits who sell these items move a lot of earth, and often have stockpiles of top-soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Topsoil: that miraculous thin covering of the earth, which is the home of the roots of our plants. It consists of clay, silt, sand,
water, air, organic matter, and a host of microscopic life. It varies a great deal from here to there depending on the type of rock its particles came from and the percentage of each of its components. The underlying strata also has a big impact on how the soil will respond to cultivation and irrigation.

feldon30

As others have said, there is no legal definition of top soil. Someone could go with a Bobcat and scrape the top few inches off a vacant lot and sell it as topsoil. I always go for a Garden Mix with Compost and ask what their compost ingredients are. Better yet, drive to the soil lot and ask if you can scoop up some of the soil and smell it before buying it.

Jray8

I think if I ever buy soil again I will go put my hands in it first. As simple as that sounds I didn't even consider it. Thanks for all the replys and ideas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”