Jeffross1968

Leaves Turning White on Tomatoes & Peppers

So, I'm in the southern mountains of NC, about 3000 feet. I've been gardening here for only 4 years. Typically, the issues I've dealt with centered around blight.

Anyway, official plant date here is usually mother's day, but I always jump the gun a bit with a few plants, figuring I can cover them if there is a late freeze or frost. This year, so far so good. I've put some peppers and tomatoes in the ground. Temps on the ridge here during sunny days have topped out around 80, nights in the upper 40's to upper 50's. Last 2 days, lots of rain. Some sun too. I hardened these plants for only a few days, but to be honest that's more than previous years. Just figure I'll plant, weed out the weak ones that don't make it, and plant something else in it's place. This year is the first year I've attempted hardening.

Below are some pictures of something that is occurring that I've never seen before. The leaves are turning a white color, and it's happening on both the tomatoes and peppers. Other than attempting to harden them, the only differences this year is the amount of mulch, a good 6 inches worth, from a friends farm...just mulched trees he cut down from his property, no chemicals of any kind were ever used. Also prepared each spot with Jobes Organics, as per instructions.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here, and if I need to be worried? Thank you!

applestar
Mod

They look sun-wind burned. Combined with the stress of the chilly temps -- it's likely to be colder than "official" temp at ground level and the soil itself maybe too cold (did you take soil temp?) and stressing them already. Chilly temp means slower metabolism and resistance, repair of damaged cells.

Jeffross1968

No, didn't take soil temp. I know that a thermometer placed in the sun near the garden read 86 a couple days ago, when official temp was only supposed to be 74 :roll:

The heat really sits on my ridge. Always hotter here than the official temp. Will they likely be ok?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”