Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Anyone here live in the U. P.?

Just wondering if anyone here on the forum lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? I took trips back there the last 2 Octobers. I'm getting so I just can't tolerate these summers here in AZ. I'm getting to where I dread the summers. As hot as it's getting here in AZ I was thinking of a modest summer home/cabin up there. I'm thinking of the western half, it's less populated there. Real estate is cheap, at least by these standards around here. And the apples in the fall...to die for! :P

Of course, I would be gardening there and was just wondering how it is. Can you grow crops like sweet corn, butternut squash etc.? Or is it too far north? (stuff that takes a long time) The thought of being able to garden with little or no watering is very appealing to me!

The best thing about it is I can take you guys with me wherever I go!

Thx.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I would think you could grow sweet corn, squash etc. I live further north then the upper peninsula and I can. Hopefully some one chimes in from there. Good luck if you move.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thanks Sweetiepie. I think you're probably right. I wonder just how far north one can grow sweet corn just out of curiosity? I guess the only caveat about living in the U.P. would be how the climate might be affected by the Great Lakes, etc. Lots of evergreen trees up there and birch, maybe aspen, not sure!
Thx for response! Dan

Just remembered that website a forum member posted a week or so ago for me, where you can check you growing zone by plugging in your zip code. I can try that.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

They grow corn in parts of Canada I know. ND has many, many fields of corn. So I think corn would be a better bet even by the water. Squash is do-able. Now pumpkins of great size, can happen, depending on the type of year and how much you want to make it happen. I don't start seeds inside, just direct sow and I don't cover at the first threat of frost. I get jack-o- lantern size but nothing to set record books. If you fussed a little, you could get the bigger sizes.

Of course if the soil there is yucky, then what I said really means nothing.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the thoughts. I looked on the USDA zone map, and looks like the part of the U.P. I'm looking at is either going to be zone 4a or 4b, depending on how close to Lk. Superior. Looks like the bulk of North Dakota is 4a.
I'm thinking the soil in the U.P. is quite sandy, but of course it can be amended. It will be an adventure, if it happens!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”