Jt8299
Newly Registered

Plants wilting and yellow after being outside

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance. I am brand new to vegetable gardening and believe I have made a mistake. I have been growing various vegetable plants indoors. This past weekend it was beautiful out and warm approx 70 degrees. I thought it would be a great day to get the plants outside for the first time. I did not properly research how to harden off plants and let them outside in direct sunlight for at least 8 hours. Most of the plants have wilted and some leaves are turning yellow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to save these plants? Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Ouch! Yeah it is easy to think that they would love the wonderful day, but as you found out, they are delicate and not ready for the great outdoors unless slowly introduced. The direct sun as well as any kind of significan breeze can dehydrate and burn them.

First step would be to make sure they are well watered -- it will be better to bottom water because they might just collapse if you hit them with a stream of water. I also mist gently but thoroughly to help them rehydrate. DO NOT TRY TO FERTILIZE THEM -- added salts in the water will inhibit moisture intake (osmosis).

If you can, try to provide a somewhat humid environment -- but not too much or the weakened leaves will be readily infected by fungal disease.

After that, you just have to see. Unfortunately, some damage will be permanent and they will either not recover or lose the damaged leaves :(

Separate the ones that perk up if you can. It's critical not to let them dry out but don't overwater either at this point -- if some of the roots had dried up and died and leaves are damaged, the plant will not be able to update or move as much water as they did before.

I think unless the gardener is very careful, everyone experiences some degree of seedling sunburn during hardening off stage because we are all too eager. -- Here are some of mine after today's overexposure in the sun. :oops:
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 840 times

It's a good idea to keep a thermometer with the plants. You'll see right away that in sunlight, the temperature is much much hotter. If you stay outside with the seedlings, you can feel on your own winter pale skin how hot the sun exposure can get. Always check that they are adequately watered when you set them out -- if in doubt, give them some water.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would take them back in and water them well. Give them a day or two to see if they are looking like they want to live. Now start taking them out for only a short time each day. Let them get acclimated slowly. Yes, plants grown indoors are not used to the breeze and brightness of the direct sun. One must always harden them off by taking them out an hour or two , then increase the time each day for a week. Put them on the East side of a building so they get morning sun, but not afternoon sun for a few days. Not unusual for the plant leaves to yellow, but the new ones coming with the brighter light will do fine.

Jt8299
Newly Registered

Thank you both for your input and tips. The plants have slowly responded some are sprouting new leaves, however I feel as though their growth rate has been slowed significantly. I suppose I should have done more research before putting them outside. Hopefully they all come back. Thanks again!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”