Farmer John
Newly Registered

Watering in newly plantd sweet corn

Just planted my sweet corn and wondering if I need to water it in or wait for rain. Its over 400 ft. of rows and don't really want to use city water?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I'd say unless the ground was dusty dry...or you're expecting a good rain within the next day or so, I'd water them in real good. You don't want them to start to sprout and then die...

Farmer John
Newly Registered

That's what happened last year. Corn germinated after small rain then had a rare 30 day spring drought. Corn sprouted then dried up before breaking thru the soil. Only 25% survived.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Stuff like that, I always watch the weather and then plant just before I'm pretty sure it's about to rain....

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Well, my mom always said to water seeds right after planting even if you think it might rain. But ND usually has really good soil so too much would just drain away. I would water especially if you have no immediate plans to water in the future. The longer the seed sits there not germinated, the more time critters will take off with it. Squirrels, gophers, birds, worms, bugs, etc.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I reckon everyone's ground and climate is different. Here May 5 is planting date for corn. I work the ground in the fall and than when time to plant, just go plant. No, I do not water it. Put it down about 2 inches deep and let it be. I have never had it sprout and then die. Rain or no.

One thing that I think helps is to walk on the row after planting to press the soil down and make good contact with the seed. This will also help to conserve the moisture that is in the soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”