Christian1971
Cool Member

Outdoors or not

If outdoor temps are in the 50 and 60s can I set my seedlings outside for a few hours. I wouldnt if it is very windy. Seedlings are a good 2-3 inches.

Christian1971
Cool Member

Re: Outdoors or not

pepper and tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

Its important to treat peppers differently than tomatoes. Peppers need at least 5°F more heat and the seedlings are more sensitive to cold. Peppers don't need as much light, and they need less water.

Later on, mature pepper plants can tolerate colder temperatures than tomatoes.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Christian1971
Cool Member

Unfortunately I will not be able to order grow lights until next week Fri. None to be found where I live. Except those tinted blue.
Luckily my pepper seedlings are growing slower. But my tomatoes are reaching 3 inches. I will have to plant them deeper again.
For a week or so can I put a regular 100watt bulb above my plants. Rather then having them stretch to the window lights?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"If outdoor temps are in the 50 and 60s can I set my seedlings outside for a few hours. I wouldnt if it is very windy. Seedlings are a good 2-3 inches."

YES!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have a Sweet Spot in my back yard.

It's on the south side of the house but with filtered shade from a tree which has no leaves for a few more weeks. The steps off the deck provide protection from the wind.

Look around your yard for a similar location for your young plants. Choose the best moments of the day. Not long visits at first, for your youngsters, and don't forget them!

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

'For a week or so can I put a regular 100watt bulb above my plants. Rather then having them stretch to the window lights?"

If by "regular" you mean an incandescent (old style) bulb, then no. They give off too much heat. If you put it close enough to do any good, it will burn your plants up. If it is one of the newer compact fluorescent light bulbs, then yes.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”