JayPoc
Greener Thumb

bringing plants out of the greenhouse

Hey again all. I have some mater and pepper seedlings that have spent all of their time outdoors in either a small polycarbonate greenhouse, or on my porch in a low tunnel cover with plastic film ( essentially 3 mil painters tarp).

Now that we're getting days warm enough to have them outside, do I need to do anything to prevent sun scald when I put them out? The greenhouse panels are clear, but I know they are blocking some percentage of the light. Enough to make a difference? Can I just set these out in full sun? There will likely also be a period of time where they'll need to be back inside on some days.

Thoughts?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

vent your greenhouse open the first few days will be hardest on your tender plants. Water well, breezes will be a new thing for them.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

tomc wrote:vent your greenhouse open the first few days will be hardest on your tender plants. Water well, breezes will be a new thing for them.
They've actually already been blown around pretty good. It's been VERY windy all week, and the small greenhouse has been opened all the way up every day this week (roof vent opened to the widest setting and the door all the way open). My concern is the possibility of sun scald.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Put them in a spot were does not get sun all day to begin with. Or move them around this way you give less stress to the plants even if they would tolerate it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

JayPoc,

Glass filters ultraviolet. I'd guess that polycarbonate does too. As a greenhouse worker, I'd lose my suntan ... most of it, anyway ... every winter. 44 hours each week out there under the glass wasn't enuf for a tan.

You should protect your plants from strong sunlight. Sun, cold and wind are all factors in hardening-off.

Steve

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Well, good news is we have a fairly heavy overcast at the moment. I'll move them back under the cover of my low tunnel in a couple hours anyway...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”