imafan26
Mod

Suggestions for some new veggies to try

I have been going through the catalogs, looking for what to plant.

I suddenly discovered that I keep looking at the same things, even the same varieties.

I'd like some suggestions for new things I could try.

Criteria: I live in zone 12a so I can grow plants in zone 9 and up and very few from zone 8.
I can't grow anything that cannot take heat average temps around 88 degrees every day up to 92 in summer. Although I can grow some things in the fall. Coolest temperatures will go down to maybe 49 degrees on a very cold day but typically 51.

Can anyone tell me about what these things are, how they taste and how to use them. If they might grow where I live.

Kohlrabi?

Celeriac?

Cardoon?

Cantauloupe ? How much heat and space can they take?

What berries that might grow in the tropics besides strawberries ?

Any tropical fruits or veggies anyone know of. Asian, Australian and Thai usually will do well here?

applestar
Mod

Kohlrabi is cool weather -- you'd probably grow them in winter. I think they are kind of like sweet turnips above ground. Some people make kohlrabi slaw.

When you say cantaloupe, do you mean all melons or cantaloupe specifically (orange flesh, netted skin I think is the usual description) I would have thought any melon would love the heat? Less space than squash and watermelons. Powdery mildew can be an issue but typical for almost any cucurbits, I think. Do you grow Armenian cucumbers? (Melon species)

I don't know about tropical berries, but kiwi is often compared to strawberries. Do you grow loquats? I would love to be able to grow them. You are familiar with Logee's -- they have some interesting looking "tropical" fruits but way too expensive for me since I don't even know if it's possible to grow them in my limited conditions.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I grow kohlrabi, celeriac, and cantaloupe.

The Goddess cantaloupe from the University of New Hampshire has done well in my garden for 2 years running. I'm on a roll ;). Cantaloupe was important in my mother's garden in southern Oregon. I can remember one year when that was all that she bothered to grow. Ha!

Celeriac is a group of celery varieties that develop bulbs. Celery is grown near the coast, in Central California where I lived as a young child. I felt that celeriac would be easier for me to grow than celery. It does fine but requires the entire season to reach a good size. Starchy with a celery flavor, so if you like potatoes and celery together, you will like celeriac either by itself or with other vegetables. Unlike potatoes, it can be grated and eaten raw but I just use it roasted, in stews and soups, or as an ingredient in mashed potatoes.

Kohlrabi, AppleStar has described well. I have never tried it cooked. It's good grated or sliced in a fresh salad.

I don't know how any of these would do in Hawaii but imagine that a melon, just about any melon, would be fine. I have grown a short season Asian melon. It wasn't as good as Mom's cantaloupes ;). So, I continued trying for a good variety. Galia melons have done just fine in my garden for about 10 years :). They were first grown in Israel. However, they are more like a Honeydew than a cantaloupe. I bet my garden would be melon-centric if I lived where it would be possible to grow many types over a long season :).

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I have planted some sunburst melon seeds from a fruit that I saved. It is a small melon that was grown locally, but the perfect size for one or two people. I am thinking about cantauloupes and honeydews. I have grown sugar baby watermelon. I am hoping since the sunburst melon did grow locally, it might survive. I haven't heard of many people here growing them except for Aloun farm. I only know one person who tried growing them and I never got to ask her how they turned out.

Very few people try to grow melons because the vines take up so much space. I have been reading and it seems I will have to use netting on top of the fruit fly bait. Pretty much the same things I have to do for the big tomatoes. Just for different fruit flies. I have methyl eugenol traps out pretty much year round, in fact I just saw them yesterday and they were full, so I need to empty them. I will start putting out the cue lure to see how many melon flies are around now.

I think I might try a cantauloupe if I can find a cultivar for here. The other problems seemed to be powdery mildew and virus.

A long season will not be a problem for me. Celeriac sounds interesting, I might give that a try.

Kohlrabi is something I have heard about, but never knew what it was or tasted like.

Loquats are trees so, I don't have space for them. I can get access to many of the fruit trees at the orchard in the garden or through friends.

I have tried to grow Armenian cucumbers, they sprouted and then they died. I know other people have grown them successfully. I think I may have planted them too early, I'll try again when the weather warms up more. I thought they needed cooler weather, but since they are a melon, maybe they need warmer instead.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Imafan, with the Armenian cucumbers ..

. you have to be able to look at a brown cucumber and say, "I'm gonna take that home for dinner!"

I hadn't thought of local pests. Your U of H research should be of benefit. Washington State's extension used to be nothing but frustrating for me. Despite the land-great university being over here right against the border, all of the gardening research seemed to be in Puyallup, in a nearly completely different environment. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe some of that has changed.

What I found with the advent of the internet was other extension services. U of Idaho has, of course, been of help but so has U of New Hampshire and Cornell.

Here is Texas A&M with not only all the state offices but Puerto Rico, Micronesia, the Northern Marianas ... link .

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I live in S.E. Louisiana and during the summer months my temperatures are very similar to yours. My summer garden usually consists of the following.

Tomatoes
Several varieties of peppers, mild to extremely hot
Eggplant, again 2-3 varieties, white globe, Ichiban and Italian purple
Okra===very heat and drought tolerant and very productive.
cucumbers on a trellis
Japanese Yard Long Beans also on a trellis
Kentucky Wonder or some other standard pole bean--trellised
Swiss Chard
Soybeans for Edamame
Chayote, or as known by us, Mirliton, would do very well, but they are a space eater even when trellised.

Herbs such as Sweet Basil, Green Onions, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Mint are grown in my garden and just about any will grow for me in summer with the exception of Parsley, summer heat destroys it.
I would love t grow zucchini and yellow crook neck squash, but I have a serious problem with Squash Vine Borers.

For fruit, Blackberries would be a great addition, Cantaloupe's and other melons would do well if I had the room.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the links. I find the UH to have some useful publications but a lot of them are very old. I only found one publication about cantauloupes and it was a survey for feasiblility growing them commercially on Molokai. Most of those trials had a high failure rate from disease, virus, and fruit fly damage.

I use the information from the other extension services a lot even though some of the things are not going to apply. University of Florida because their climate is similar especially in the south. University of Md because they have a good pest id app, Texas A&M, Purdue which was surprising that they have so much information on things that are usually grown in a very different climate, University of Michigan, Colorado, Cornell, and Stanford IPM. I also go to the tropical permaculture website which is based in Australia, but they grow a lot of the same kinds of things I can.

I don't think I can grow kiwi where I am. It may be possible on the Big Island where it is cooler.

I grow a lot of the same things as Gumbo. I haven't had many squash vine borer problems, but except for the upo, I don't grow a lot of squash. I do grow zucchini but the last couple of years my yields have been less than stellar. I got four fruit from 2 plants last year. Mostly because they did not put out male and female flowers at the same time. I actually prefer crookneck squash anyway. I do grow kabocha and butternut squash they don't make many but I do like them.

Instead of Kentucky wonder, I have switched to Poamoho which is more rust and nematode resistant. I think the UH may have developed it from Kentucky Wonder via Manoa Wonder.

Blackberries do well in the south, I might try them if I come across some plants. No one will probably ship them here.
I know the low chill blueberries grow here but they are not happy here, they do seem to struggle, it is not the best environment for them.

I grew okra before, I might try that again.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Cantauloupe", Your cantaloupe should do very well there. Plant now. Also I would think cucumbers and squash should do well too. Plant now. If you have room you might try some corn. With corn you need several rows so it gets pollinated well.
Try a plot 12 feet square with four rows of corn on it. Plant now.

Greens like spinach, lettuce, chard, are early types and can be planted when cool. Radish and turnip are early too.

For food calories I always suggest what I call the "Big Four". Corn, Beans, Squash and Potatoes. Then the other veggie types to fill in some vitamin needs. Plant what you like to eat!

Here with our short seasons I am always looking for varieties that will finish here, and dodging the frosts. We too can get some days in the 90s in July and August. That doesn't seem to be a problem as long as the plants have water.

Have fun!

kayjay
Green Thumb

If I were in your zone, I'd grow jicama. :) It's expensive here in Ontario. I'd love to just grow some.

Kohlrabi - I lurve it. Likewise a bit pricey, so I was thrilled that it grew well for me last year. The bulb is nice, basically like a turnip or the stalk of broccoli. If the bulbs don't form, you can still eat the greens as you would spinach or other greens. I like any greens cooked up with some onion and a slice (or three) of bacon. ;)

Celeriac, I don't mind it. I tried it and it wasn't really worth the price for me. (Can you tell I'm frugal? ;) ) I'm not a huge celery fan. To eat a pile of diced veggies that tasted like celery... yuck. Celery's cheaper.

imafan26
Mod

I just harvested my jicama last month. It delayed my tomato planting since it was in one of my tomato tubs.
When it is fresh it is sweet crunchy and juicy almost like eating a crisp sweet apple.

I do grow corn. Right now, I am clearing out my beds to plant corn. I need to add some more compost and pull the beets. I have already pulled the carrots. In my other garden. I need to take out the weeds.

I have a chayote, upo and I just found out the squash my friend gave me is a loofa. I thought it was a winter melon, so they are all growing in my community garden. I am saving one of the round gourds for seed. I hope it doesn't take my fence down first. They do take up a lot of space. I have ripped my sleeve on the fence trying to get around the vines.

The sunburst melon has sprouted, so when they have true leaves they will probably be joining the other vines. One of the good things is that they actually don't mind growing on top of each other. I believe they are different species so there should not be any crossing. I don't know how long the vines will get so I might let them sprawl outside the garden.

I just pulled out my suyo cucumber and amended the soil. It did not have a lot of organic matter, what it had was a lot of sticky clay. I moved the trellis over to a different spot, hoping it will do better. It has been in the same place for over a year and I think I amended around it before. I have to plant more Suyo and I may try another Armenian cucumber now that the weather is warming up.

My papaya lost another arm, from the wind and rain. So I guess I will have to start more seeds.

I planted a grey zucchini. I have not tried that variety before. I only have one plant this time. Only one seed germinated.

I also planted a tronchuda beira. I had one in a pot before, but I underestimated how big it would get so this time I have it in the ground.

I have taro instead of potatoes. I eat more rice than potatoes and taro is way more expensive to buy. I just harvested some last week to make nishime (Japanese stew). One of the taro was Maui taro instead of araimo. the Maui taro has a grittier texture and more poi taro taste, but it worked out o.k. I picked up some spinach taro in November. It is a new one for me. It doesn't make corms, it is grown for the leaves which is eaten like spinach or more likely here chicken luau.

I am going to try some haricot vert bush beans. It is a new one for me. I will also try to plant out some of the usual poamoho pole beans which I know are reliable. I don't know if I can still grow snow peas, it may be a bit late now.

Maybe I will pass on the celeriac. I grow cutting celery since it is a biennial and it also has a strong celery flavor, and much more bitter, but it is great for when you just need a little celery flavor and I hate to buy celery just to have it go limp in the frig. Besides, it is more heat tolerant.

Kohlrabi will probably make my list. Now, I just have to find some seeds.

I do grow daikon, in fact I just pulled two that had gone to seed and were already starting to rot. I have turnip seeds, but I don't know what to do with them. I grew the purple top ones, but they were bitter.
I do have swiss chard, that thing just keeps going and going. It is a monster. I can only grow spinach for a short time in the cooler months of the year, but if I can get NZ hot weather spinach and confine it, I know that one works. I gave some to my sister years ago. She managed to kill green onions every three months. So, she would give me the dead pot and I would give her a fresh one every three months. I gave her some NZ spinach and because it can handle neglect and is so prolific, even she couldn't kill or eat it fast enough, and it isn't as slimy as malabar spinach.

I have grown yard long and wing beans before. I need to find space for them, they like to take over my trees.

I haven't planted soy in a while, so I might do that again. There is a cultivar from UH that grows well called Kahala.
I also have about 2 lbs of cowpeas (pinkeye or black eyed peas) to either cook or plant. I use cowpeas for green manure.

I have a Thai long green eggplant. I prefer it to the purple one because it stays softer on the bush longer. Once the purple ones lose their shine, they are seedy and bitter. I can keep the green one on the bush longer and I wll get 5-8 fruit every 10 days or so.

I haven't planted okra in years, I might try it again if I can find the space.

During the summer, I can usually plant lettuce under my citrus trees, but I have a big thrip problem in my community garden. I might try inter planting lettuce and beets under other plants in my home garden instead. I have thrips at home too mainly because I have plumeria, gardenia, and orchids, but less so than at the community garden.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Just a quick note on Kohlrabi. We grow a lot of it and love to cook it up with carrots and its great in soups. To us it has a taste similar to cabbage. :)

We've grown the Express Forcer and Delicacy White varieties but there are some interesting purple one out there that I'd like to try one year - maybe next year or in the Fall. :-()

Compared to the small amount of things we grow in our garden, basically just enough for the two of us, you grow so much more. I'm really amazed at how many varieties and things everyone grows on the Forum.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"I also planted a tronchuda beira. I had one in a pot before, but I underestimated how big it would get so this time I have it in the ground.

I have taro instead of potatoes...
I am going to try some haricot vert bush beans. It is a new one for me..."

:) I think tronchuda beira is great. Portuguese Kale! Growing collards many years ago was a flop. Portuguese kale has grown well in my garden for several seasons. Other than how it is cooked, it isn't all that similar to Scotch kale.

Of course, I have haricot beans, of several varieties. There used to be bean fields not far from where I lived. What there were not, was soybean fields. I've had 2 good years with a nice edamame soybean and 2 bad years. I think I may pass on soy this year ...

Of course also, I have potatoes and no taro. Even sweet potatoes don't do very well here. My wife and father both had more experience with sweet potatoes and laughed at the results from my garden ...

I'm gonna go back and search for what you said about beets but if you grow Swiss chard, beets should work. There are some that are not beet-red. I will try a white one this year. Also, there is something called "perpetual spinach" which isn't perpetual nor a spinach. If the ribs in chard don't appeal and it's the beet greens which you find more tasty than the roots, the sister to chard and beets, "perpetual spinach," may be a good choice.

;) Steve
who also prefers green eggplant to purple

imafan26
Mod

Thanks, I have to look that up, I never heard of perpetual spinach before. The NZ spinach is a spinach substitute, it is pretty much perennial once it gets started. At the garden center we have Okinawan sweet potatoes and sweet potatoes that are grown only for their leaves, they don't make tubers and need to be started from cuttings. They do very well but take up a lot of space. I had the sweet potato leaves in my garden and it took a long time for me to dig it all out, it spread everywhere. Now, I have rat tail radish and yomogi growing wild as a weed.

My mother did grow potatoes in her yard but the avocado roots invaded the raised beds and there was something that bored holes in the potatoes, rendering them useless. Sweet potatoes can have those same issues, they just don't seem to have as much. Okinawan sweet potatoes are purple and on the dry side, but people here like it for snacking. The Jewel sweet potatoes, are sweeter but mushier, so not great for snacking. The Okinawan sweet potato leaves can also be used be blanched and combined with onions, tomatoes, fish sauce or salt, soy, and a little Hawaiian tabasco in a salad. I like to add fishcake to it as well.

I have grown soy beans before. I do grow Kahala which was developed by UH to be resistant to nematodes and rust. We like our soy beans steamed in the pod and sprinkled with garlic salt. I have also eaten it with a chili sauce, but I don't know how to make that one. Steamed or boiled soy beans in pods are snack food at gatherings.

I have a small garden, but I have more than one. I have an 800 sq ft community garden. My home garden "plot" is 8ftx16 ft. It is more oval in shape and was probably the remnants of what once was a rock garden. I also take care of the herb garden at one of the Public gardens I volunteer at. I have grown a lot of different things over the years so, I don't grow all of them at one time.

Because space is so limited, I try to grow things that I get multiple harvests from, plant only a few, some only one, I plant intensively; inter plant; grow vertically, and I have a 365 day growing season. There are still over a thousand plants of all kinds, ornamental, herbs, and edible in containers. Not everything is planted in the vegetable garden. Some of the plants needed more shade or more space so they are in other parts of the yard. BTW my house lot is very small, 5400 sq ft. I have a little less than 3000 sq ft of yard, which is smaller than Jal-Ut's garden.

Herbs do not take a lot of space, they are expensive to buy , taste better fresh, I don't need a lot of plants, and they do very well in pots.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the tips James.

I found an article that was written about the sunburst melon I am trying. It is a mini cantauloupe and it was sweet. It doesn't taste like the typical market cantauloupe though, but it is a better size for small families.

https://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 70322.html

PurpleOrganicLEDGuru
Newly Registered

Pumpkins , cherry tomatoes (heirloom different colored kind).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”