applestar
Mod

GARDENING DISASTER >> find lemonade and silver lining

I'm having a bad day. This morning, when I checked my pepper and tomato seed incubating bucket of water with "thermostatically controlled" aquarium heater, it was very nice and warm... Like a hot tub... Like TOO HOT! Quick check the temp with an accurate thermometer ...
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! ONE HUNDRED FIFTEEN DEGREES!!!! :eek:

Well, so much for the pepper seeds and some tomato seeds I'd hoped to fast track :roll:
image.jpg
So the bad news is there were a quart and pint deli container full of seeds I was incubating to germinate and sprout.

Now for the lemonade --

- I had run out of zip bags and was running low of spoon and forks. I decided that I won't buy any more, and *only* start more seeds as old zip bags become available after all the seeds have sprouted and are planted. (But I had so many more varieties I wanted to grow...)
- I had some pepper and eggplant varieties for which one or two seeds that had sprouted but there were remaining seeds that hadn't, and some that didn't germinate at all -- I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Now their condition is definite.

>>> I have empty zip bags to more varieties of tomatoes that I wanted to grow <<<
>>> I was able to review the varieties and decide to try again or give them up for this season <<<
:()

Mr green
Green Thumb

Is that really a disaster? Most seeds should have survived that? 115 degrees is just above the limit for whats considered alive raw food, so I'm thinking most seeds would survive a short time of that amount of heat.
I may have calculated wrong with the degrees since I'm on a different system here in europe than you... If so never mind my post at all. :D

applestar
Mod

Now you tell me .... :lol:

No. It's for the best. I need an excuse to start over that batch. If I don't take action now and they don't grow, I'll be forever kicking myself. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”