Sammie1002
Newly Registered

What is this and how do I weed it?

This stuff sprouted overnight. I'm not sure what it is. It's so diffuse throughout the garden that it would take days to weed by hand. Each little leaf is it's own plant.
I've got some rows seeded which have yet to sprout and some that have sprouted. I also have a few started plants.

Any suggestions? Wonder if I could burn it with a soap spray maybe? Or vinegar?

NJ Bob
Cool Member

What was there last year?

Sammie1002
Newly Registered

Last year was a variety of veggies. I've never had this problem before.

Sammie1002
Newly Registered

It's all over my garden. Last year I planted squash, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapeno, and I can't remember what else.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would just get your hoe and chop it all out. You could hoe down a row like that in hardly any time. Unfortunately, if you already have seeds planted in the row, that will likely disrupt them from sprouting. But veggie seeds will have a very hard time competing with an invasion like that anyway. Personally I would hoe them all out, wait a week and see what else sprouts and hoe it again, and then replant seeds.

Sammie1002
Newly Registered

What would you do around the seedlings that have popped up? Maybe use the hoe around them then hand pick near them?

Mr green
Green Thumb

Sammie1002 wrote:What would you do around the seedlings that have popped up? Maybe use the hoe around them then hand pick near them?
Yes that sounds good to me, you don't wanna disturb the roots of them little ones if you intend to keep them.

Black River

Is that a fairly new garden spot? And, was Bermuda grass there before? Because it surely looks like Bermuda grass seedlings to me....our main garden spot was Bermuda. I think we are on our 6th or 7th year planting there, and are just now getting it to be grass-free. If it is Bermuda, the only thing I can recommend is to till as little as possible, because you spread new Bermuda rhizomes, and mulch as heavily as you can.

applestar
Mod

Sammie1002 wrote:What would you do around the seedlings that have popped up? Maybe use the hoe around them then hand pick near them?
Use one of these? :wink:

Subject: 2014 Spiral Garden Garlic Onion Pea Corn Squash Cuke Beet
applestar wrote:I mentioned this before but I love my $8 shedding rake (dog/horse grooming tool) for weeding around young plants/seedlings. It worked like a charm between/around onions, and I sowed some pre-germinated beet seed capsules where onions were more than 8" apart. Took care of the weeds around corn too. :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It looks to me like a type of grass. I start tilling my garden as early as I can. I till it about 2 times a week for several weeks this kills all the plants and all the seeds that sprout and try to grow new plants. Just keep tilling until weather is right for planting the garden by then all the seeds have sprouted and died. I have been doing this for 35 years it sure makes a different when it comes to fighting weeds in the garden. Also be sure rows are spaced so you can till between the rows this will save you a lot of work.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I like my Cobra Head cultivator for working close to plants.

https://www.cobrahead.com/

DITTO RBG - hoe the areas away from your seedlings. I would start by cleaning up close to the seedlings with the cobra head then use a hoe for the rest. I really like a triangle head hoe in boxes. It is easier to be selective about what you take out.

IDK how you feel about herbicides. You can clean up close to your seedlings with a cobra tool or by hand then use a sponge brush to apply Round Up to the weeds. Use the original Round Up not the extended control.

Good luck

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”