lakngulf
Greener Thumb

The Bean Lean

This year I am trying a Bean Lean. I grow veggies, mainly tomatoes, on a short pier because it gets full sun before the rest of the garden. Problem is it gets too much sun in July / August. This year I am planting the Rattlesnake Beans on the west side of the pier, and will let them grow as high as possible to provide some afternoon shade for the tomatoes on the east side.

the Bean Lean

I have some more wire and will put another row at the top. I already have some plants growing under the wire and will have to cover them Friday and Saturday night, as our temps are headed to the lower 30s.

applestar
Mod

You probably have the craziest looking pier on the lake -- but I LOVE IT! Such great ideas. :()

imafan26
Mod

How innovative.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Thats the first time ive seen something like it! Cool to say the least. But aint the wind of any concern there?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Mr green wrote:Thats the first time ive seen something like it! Cool to say the least. But aint the wind of any concern there?
We do have some wind coming across the water, and it can be strong sometimes. For other items I do have wire on each side and it has worked ok. We will see if the beans can withstand.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I see I will be following this thread with great interest. Lakes are plenty here in sweden, and I do like things done out of the ordinary.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Tonight the lean beans are covered with a tarp, as we are predicted to have temps in the mid 30s. Wind was blowing strong too, so the tarp gave the little plants some relief from dancing in the wind.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We have had some great spring temps the last few days, and some nice rain showers. The rattlesnake beans are beginning to send runners up the "bean lean". This may just work out.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

That is really cool. Though being where you have to drive so far to play in any kind of water, my kids would never let me do something like that. Because they would be having too much fun off the pier.

They seem to be doing great.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

sweetiepie wrote:That is really cool. Though being where you have to drive so far to play in any kind of water, my kids would never let me do something like that. Because they would be having too much fun off the pier.

They seem to be doing great.
Very healthy so far. Raining today but I plan to place a little more top soil around the plants and cover with newspaper to help control the weeds.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Bean Lean Update

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”