erins327

Experience with Chinese Red Noodle Bean?

Hey y'all,

So I want to plant the Chinese Red Noodle bean this year and try something different. However, I don't have quite the room to seed them because either my winter stuff is still growing, or something else took priority that needs to get in the ground NOW before it gets too hot, like tomatoes.

So I'm hoping I can seed them out in a few weeks or a month from now, because all I hear is they are very heat and drought tolerant. However are they Texas heat tolerant? I feel like people say that about okra too, but once its 100 during the day they usually go dormant on me.

Here is Texas, it always seem a fine balance between trying to beat the heat getting stuff in and established, but not too early because its still cool.

Any South people have any advice?

Thanks!
Erin

imafan26
Mod

I grow the regular asparagus yard long bean. The red noodle is a variant. In Hawaii, they do very well. They are climbers so a trellis is good. They like to go over the trees here along with the wing beans. They are very prolific. It gets to about 91 degrees in summer where I am, in August it can approach the century mark. The beans are fine. If they are planted early, the base will be in the shade and as long as they get enough water they will keep on going. They have fewer pests than regular beans. They have never gotten rust for me and I have had to switch from Kentucky Wonder to Poamoho because of their lack of rust and fusarium resistance. They can grow up to a yard but you do want to pick them before the pods start to swell. They are used in stir fries and soups.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”