Christian1971
Cool Member

chinese cabbage sprouts

2.5 days after planting, 12 chinese cabbage seeds have sprouted. :-()

Christian1971
Cool Member

I am such an idiot! I think I planted this cabbage indoors way too early. I do have more seeds which I can plant later. Our last frost is about May 20-27.

applestar
Mod

Don't forget this is a cool weather crop. I think you would plant them earlier than last frost. Not exactly sure about Chinese cabbage, but broccoli and regular cabbage can be planted about a month to 3 wks before last average frost after they are hardened off/acclimated.

It helps if you can put up a light weight cover over them.

Christian1971
Cool Member

My concern would be that temps may fall in the low 40s at night. Would a cover help?

applestar
Mod

Covering should definitely help.

I needed to look this up because I FORGOT to start some Napa type Chinese cabbage seeds I received in trade and I was going to start them today -- According to this guide for W Virginia (not my area but similar last frost dates, so their late April to early May planting might be a good guide for ME but not you... :? )
https://localfoodhub.org/wp-content/uplo ... rginia.pdf
Chinese cabbage will produce a seed stalk (called bolting) in hot weather or if young plants are exposed to low temperatures (<50oF) for approximately one week.
If this is the case, I would probably plant them on same schedule as celery....

Further on in the article, it says to use a low and high tunnels for best results.

...we need pepperhead212 or digit'S to give us some insights on Asian greens growing. Digit'S should have better insight into your kind of spring weather schedule.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I find it difficult to grow Chinese cabbage. This is a "suddenly hot & dry" climate ... after what is usually a cool & cloudy spring.

My only successful Chinese cabbage plantings have been those kept in a hoop house through the spring and harvested when the plastic comes down at the end of June, so they are in protected growing throughout. I won't be growing a barrel-type, Chinese cabbage this year.

Don't be afraid to make use of your plants prior to their forming heads. And, staggered sowing of seed is a good idea with just about any crop - especially greens.

The best news may be that this is a large family. Bok choy is closely related and easier to grow. Maruba Santoh is about my favorite Brassica rapa and probably the mildest flavored of the group. There are two types of Choy Sum. It's actually a name that refers to kitchen use. Anyway, the Brassica rapa Choy Sum does best for me. So, despite a more difficult to grow Chinese cabbage, we have other choices from the same family.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”