Christian1971
Cool Member

Adding more soil?

Seeds are planted. When I add water the pro mix soil shrinks down and containers arent as full. Can I add more soil. How deep is too deep for seeds. I have the 72 deep cells from greenhousemegastore.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

The depth seeds are planted are unique to each type of seed. You should be able to find the planting depth on the seed packaging. Without knowing what you are planting this is the best answer I can provide. :)

Are you bottom watering? If your watering from the top and your soil is light, the seeds will tend to float around and end up either too deep or not deep enough. In order to avoid this issue many gardeners pre-wet the soil before putting it into the cells and then bottom water.

Good luck!

NJ Bob
Cool Member

Once I fill the cells I thumb-pack them down a little bit and then fill again. Seems to work for me. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would not add soil now. Let your seeds come up and when they have a little height, you can add soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with James. But for the future fill your containers with soil, water well, stir it around. Then it will settle, then add more soil -- BEFORE you plant anything.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, I get that a lot. Usually it is better if I thoroughly wet the media first so that it is saturated before I put it in the pot. Not sopping but moist enough to hold together. There is less sinking that way and I don't have seeds floating away because the media was too dry.

applestar
Mod

Agee that adding soil after they grow up a bit is better -- don't want to end up burying the seeds too deep, and when indoor growing, shallower sowing is better anyway.

BUT now there is greater chance of damping off due to less air circulation, so be careful and only bottom water. Also, the seeds are that much further from the lights so keep the lights low/seed flat up close to the lights when they sprout.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I find it best to fill my container with soil mix and leave it soaking in a basin for an hour, at least. It will then need to drip for a couple of hours.

Seed can go in and be covered with a little unsoaked soil.

Given time for the moisture to saturate the soil mix - this has worked for me and there is no noticeable settling. The containers are covered with a plastic lid until the seed germinates so there is little loss of moisture for a week or more. I use "cookie boxes" from the bakery, with its own lid or plastic film. Of course, these come off before the container goes in direct sunlight.

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I hadn't thought to post this here ... but, since this was an accidental double post ... :oops:
Attachments
DSC01120.JPG

applestar
Mod

I like the way you are using those labels -- which are too big for using here but will be useful later in the garden -- as dividers for rows of what looks like different varieties.

Do you ever run into trouble when one/some don't sprout along the same schedule as others? I do because I make the mistake of trying to sow not only different varieties but different crops -- like lettuce and arugula -- in the same community container. :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I do, AppleStar!

Old seed doesn't lose viability on a precise schedule. Last year, I had 9 year old Jalapeno seed. By the time it finally came up, the others varieties were all but smothering them and I'd already made a run to the garden center for fresh jalapeno seed - which was sprouting, as well! The late plants were too late and discarded. I dumped the remaining seed this time - bought way too much of it in 2004!

Oh, they might eventually show up ... those small boxes for individual muffins would probably work much better but it's oatmeal raisin cookies that's one of the 5 food groups ... or, what DW buys me when I've been especially good ...

Steve
just now having learned that all varieties in that box have offspring, this afternoon :)!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”