WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Re: Readying for the season - Sharing your growing list!

lol Yes wolf. He's a rescue hubby got at 3 weeks that the DNR found shot twice and 3 shattered legs. He's been trained by the Red Cross as a pup under the guise of a German Shepherd Mix to be an asthma service "dog." He is my service "dog" for my asthma, he used to be hubby's ex wife's service dog as she also had asthma. He's overtaken me as his new "patient" and Mummy. He's now going on 10 years old and going strong!

As far as the watermelons go, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happened too. Makes me feel a little better lol. Though this year I'm expressly growing them from the same saved seed just to see if they do grow that small again. Hubby wanted to see if it would happen twice in a row.

My kitchen has a large center tiled island that hubby built and it's also the warmest place in the house so when it comes to an abundance of Basil, of any sort, I wash and dry the leaves on paper towels on the counter for use during the winter time. I've managed to keep myself in home grown/dried basil over the last few years fairly well and throughout most if not all of winter. I do the same with our feral mint patch as well since I use it for iced tea during the warm months and hot tea during the cold months (same drying process).

As far as the RBGB's, hubby had the same questioning attitude towards them until I asked him to try a no thank you helping (2 bites, don't like it don't have to eat it). He really likes them now and is amazed at how the water turns bluish purple when they're cooked/defrosted and how they turn green after cooking lol.

But I've managed to get him to try a lot of new things in the last few years and most of which he's liked, though I've managed to pretty much peg his taste buds anyway, (I should hope I have, if I haven't by now I have no business being married to him haha). He was quite skeptical of Korean cooking at first until I had him try a few recipes and now he calls it "stuff" because he can't pronounce the words/names of the dishes with his Scottish tongue ;).

Oh and I'm used to growing a lot of Basil as well because our previous rescue special needs bunny boy used to love it as a treat. I would give him some when in season as part of his daily veggie feed. My sweet boy passed on mid November of last year. He was abused for the first year and a half of his life, but he managed 2 loving and healthy years with us before he passed away in his sleep.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/thing-you ... .ale7w8Vwl

I've stumbled across this and I do believe these will be going into the list to grow. I found some seeds to purchase and with as prolific as they are I don't believe I'll need many seed lol. I'd love to make some quick pickles with these! That and the adorable factor is huge....

I've moved around some things in my garden schematic I've been using to help plan my garden for the coming season (just an excel sheet with my beds and pots marked out) and I was able to add in a section of my raised beds for some bantam sweet corn. So I guess I'll be giving corn a go this year after all. I went out back and took another good hard look at where I had thought to put up my idea of a privacy fence with the corn but it won't do. Water collects there frequently during rain and so far as I can tell, corn doesn't like wet feet so to speak. So I'll have a 4'x4' portion of my raised beds devoted to the bantam.

It will be in the top half of the last raised bed with the second half being my RBGB's and the next bed over will have my Cherokee Wax and Lettuces in it so it will be fairly well surrounded by friendly plants.
Last edited by WinglessAngel on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AverageWalrus

Here is my List, so far

FLOWERS

Marigolds (Burpee's Best Mix)
Sunflowers (Autumn Beauty Mix)
Velvet Queen Sunflowers
Calendula (Oktoberfest)
Blanket Flower
Strawflowers
Vanilla Ice Sunflower
Nasturtium (Jewel Mix)
Larkspur (Giant Imperial Mix)

BULBS

Gladiolus
Harlequin Flowers
Echinacea
Mr Fokker Anemone
Mexican Shell Flower

Vegetables & Herbs

Early Italian Bush Bean
Ruby Queen Corn
Bell Peppers (Carnival Mix)
Big Max Pumpking
Orange Tendersweet Watermelon
Super Beefsteak Tomato
Cucumber (Straight Eights)
Basil (Unknown Variety)
Parsley (Unknown Variety)
Oregano (Unknown Variety)
Sage (Unknown Variety)
Rosemary (Unknown Variety)
Thyme (Unknown Variety)
Cilantro

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Sounds like a great garden Walrus! Everyone's lists are amazing me at the variety :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Angel, good to see you back!! :)

RE drying the herbs, just pick some stems of them and hang them upside down in a dark, dry place. I band the stems (of one kind of herb) together and hang them upside down inside a paper bag, which theoretically helps to absorb some of the atmospheric moisture and makes sure they stay in the dark.

So when you have a bed of say lettuce, do you plan for what to put in it after the lettuce is done (which is pretty early in the season)?

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I tend to dry individual leaves on the counter as they dry for me in just a few days. It's what I prefer but it's not for everyone :) Lettuce and such I usually just replant with more. I always buy lots of seed for the stuff that matures early so I can replant. We use a lot of lettuces here, well before a whole lot when we had our bunny, but we also raise our own crickets for food for our leopard gecko and now tree frog as well. So fresh lettuce is always used no matter the size lol. The crickets eat the lettuce and leaves from some of the veggies grown in the garden so I tend to grow them their own food in the garden when I can in season. They're greedy little buggers! But I love fresh salads during season so I eat a lot of it too.

imafan26
Mod

I wish I could grow basil, but downy mildew has struck again

I also grew sugar baby watermelons. They were a good ice box watermelon but only produced three watermelons at most. So usually not worth the space I don't have to plant it. I get more than 20 fruit from gourds and buckets of chayote and the shoots are also edible, so I would rather let them have the space on the fence instead.

I do like butternut and kabocha squash. I won't get a lot from them, but they are worth it. I might add them to my list.

We do grow many of the same things, but I looked through the catalogs and pretty much we are growing seeds that are available. Unless you have specialty seeds or are a collector, we would probably be growing the varieties that are readily available.

Zucchini isn't much on anyone's list. Is it because of SVB or because they like other things better?

I do grow some ethnic foods
taro
Asian greens
jicama
Long beans
NZ hot weather spinach
Gynuura
Roselle
Araimo
ginger
turmeric
cardamom
lemon grass
Kaffir lime (actually a lot of different citrus trees)
Bilimbi
Daikon
Mizuna
shiso
dragon fruit

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Last year my lettuce leaf basil had a period of really slow growth and only got about 10" tall but they put out some great leaves. They sprouted fine but were slow to grow until about 5" or so and after that they shot up in growth but the slow growth spell took so long it took about half the growing season for them to come out of the slow growth phase. This year though I plan on planting more so I'll have more anyway even if they go through the slow growth they did last year. I have Minowase Daikon seeds still from last year but I'm not planning on planting any unless I need a space filler for some odd reason. They grew nice and tall leaves but the bases just rotted. We'll see. I went and picked up the pots I'll need for the Triple L Crop toms and the cucamelons this evening so I'm pretty much set until seeding time when I'll need to pick up some more potting soil. Otherwise my grow list is now set.

It's nice to see others growing some of the Asian varieties and such as well too!

fourfortytwo

veggies:
Jackson pickling cukes
Corinto slicing cukes
Yellow Pear, Sun Peach, Big Beef tomatoes
Hansel Eggplant
Veronica (Romanesco) Cauliflower
Chioggia Gaurdsmark Beets, Red Ace beets
Caraflex Cabbage
Sunrise Orange Peppers
Nautic Brussel Sprouts
Sarah's Choice Cantaloupe
Zephyr Squash
Atlas, Adeline, Purple Haze Carrots
Pearl Drop, Gold Coin onions, Scallions.
Shallots
Parsnips
Rainbow Swiss Chard
Spinach
Kale
Leeks
Kohlrabi

herbs, small greens:
Sage
Rosemary
Basil
Catnip
Cilantro
Lemon Balm
Chervil
Shiso

flowers from seed:
Delphinium
Foxglove
Lupine
Sunflower
Zinnias
Gomphrena (Globe aramanth)

bulbs:
gladiolus
toad lily
red hot poker
dahlia

I think that's it, I may have missed a couple, see my post in seed starting I had a few questions.
And anyone else here from Maine?

fourfortytwo

oh yes, 3-4 week mixed greens & nasturtium salads

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Lovely list! That nasturtium salad sounds interesting!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Planning on these:
Nantes Carrot
Utah 52-70 Celery
Homemade pickles cucumber
Cashflow Zucchini Summer Squash
Sweet Lightening Winter Squash
Walla Walla Onion
Sweet Spanish Utah Onion
Some Onion sets because I am not sure how my seed will do.
Sugar Baby Corn
Northern Xtra Sweet Corn
Blue Popcorn
Contender Green Beans
Tendergreen Green Beans
Green Arrow Peas
Salad Variety-leaf lettuce
Parris Island lettuce
Buttercup squash
Butternut Squash
Australian Squash
Tennessee Sweet Potato Winter Squash
White Pumpkin
Jumbo Pumpkins ( They never get very big here but the kids always have to try them)
Early scarlet Radish
Purple Plum Radish
Garlic (I have terrible luck)
Horseradish

Tomatoes:
Beefmaster
Martinos Roma
Speckled Roman
Tip Top
Roma
Crimson Beefsteak

Potatoes:
Red Pontiac
Red Norland
Gold Rush
Bintje
Kennetbec
Georgia Jet sweet potato

Peppers:
Alma Paprika
Ghost - Bhut Jolokia
Habanero
Paprika
King of the North
Hot Chili
Jalapeno Early
Habanero Mix- Red, yellow
Hot pepper Mix- Anaheim, Ancho, Long slim Red Cayenne, Jalapeno M, Hungarian Wax

Herbs:
Caraway
Caribe Cilantro
Coriander
Black Cumin
Marjoram
Mint
Oregano Vulgare
Flat Leaf Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Mexican Terragaon
Magic Carpet Thyme
Orinoco Tobacco ?
Mammoth Dill
Dark Green Italian Parsley
Basil

Flowers:
Purple Coneflower
Wild Flower Mix (to lazy to seperate it all)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I love your too lazy to separate, sounds like me! I'm a lazy gardener honestly. I do well enough though, I'm sure yours will do fine too! The Parris Island is what I had growing last year along with red romaine too. My romaine never got past what I would call baby greens size so we made do but they did grow well even if only to a max of about 8" tall. I'm so glad others share my enthusiasm for the new gardening season. Not many of my FB circle do. lol

kayjay
Green Thumb

Here's my list for my small condo space:

Overwintered hot peppers in containers: Cayennetta and Apache

Started:
- Tomatoes: Rutgers, Brandywine (from my own saved seeds :D ) and bush beefsteak
- Peppers: Early CalWonder and Early Jalapeno (courtesy of the webmaster last year, TY! :cool: )
- Lettuce: iceberg and Grand Rapids
- Basil, sweet
- Swiss chard, fordhook giant

About to start (next time I get to the grocery store:)
- sweet potato

Will start closer to last frost:
- cucumber, Chicago pickling
- zucchini, dark green

Will direct sow later on:
- turnip, purple top white globe (did quite well last year)
- kohlrabi (ditto, did well)
- peas, little marvel
- radishes, cherry belle
- spinach, Bloomsdale

I may do some string beans in summer, if I have any space left. Probably not. :>

I also allowed ONE (1) first-year garlic mustard patch a stay of execution last summer. Apparently, it's a pretty invasive weed around here. I will harvest it before it goes to seed and that may or may not be the end of it.

There is also an ugly, bare patch of ground on the condo property upon which someone, I'm not saying it would be me, might scatter random flower seeds. Image

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I like the flower patch idea. You can do those beans on a trellis in a container if you really wanted to ;) I use tote bins (the extra large oversize ones) when I don't have the space to put things actually in ground. Cheaper than regular pots and the plastic lasts a long time. I usually find them on sale or clearance and pick them up. Prices around here I usually find them between 5-7 a piece. Just put one of those garden trellises in it at the back and they'll have something to climb on. From your list you're managing to have a good size garden with what I imagine is very limited space. Sounds great to me!

kayjay
Green Thumb

Yes, I love the storage bin idea. I already have several with drainage holes drilled in them. My problem is lack of direct sunlight space. My yard faces NE, so I've got this narrow zone along my fence that gets direct sunlight for most of the day, and that's it. :/ It's probably about 12 feet by 2 feet. The rest is shade to filtered sun at best.

Square foot gardening FTW.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ahh I get it then ok. I have 4 large raised beds that are landscaped into one of our front fields, and then I have all my colorful tote bins for pots. Eventually though we do plan on expanding the raised beds so we can get rid of the rest of the bins but for now they work well enough for me lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Well it looks like I might be adding some Bennings Green Patty Pans to my list as well. I ordered my Royal Burgundy Bean seeds from High Mowing Seed this year and the quality was sorely off. So they've offered me replacements or store credit etc, so I sent them an email back saying I would try the Bennings Green Patty Pans from their store. I couldn't believe the poor quality of seed, I knew there would be crushed and broken/non viable seed when buying in bulk but the amount I received that way versus the 1/2 pound of seed I bought was far far too high in percentage of what I pulled from the bag. I'm leaving it at that and we'll see if they send them or not. At any rate, I've all my seeds potted in my starter pots for getting my seed starts going for the garden in my greenhouse now. If I get the patty pan seeds I'll put them in pots to start as well and put them out there. They'll just be started a bit later than the rest. The other half of my garden is pretty much direct seed so I'm fairly well ready for the season now until my seed starts get going and are ready to be planted, seeds direct sown etc. I just have a little more bed and planter readying to do otherwise. I'm as ready as it gets for this part of the growing season thus far lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Oh and I went out and planted a few Lemon Queen Sunflower seeds today too that I had gotten free with orders. They're scattered in three different places to help attract bees to the garden areas :D lol. I never make it through a season it seems without finding new things to add in all the while.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Potato choices made and planted. One sprout of Daisy Gold had made it to the soil surface. I don't know what that sprout thought about the 2" of snow that immediately fell on it or why it was in such a hurry with frost every morning :roll: . The Daisy Golds were my first attempt ever with saved seed. Growing early varieties and with less than ideal storage, my garden potatoes sometimes don't make it into February.

So, it was Daisy Gold, Viking and Russet Norkotah.

This will be the first year with Russet Norkotah. I'm still hoping for early harvests.

Viking confuses me! I've grown it several years and had decided it was more productive than any other, in my garden. I've known that some call it Viking Purple and others call it Purple Viking. What I hadn't expected was the garden center's label of Viking Red! Checking online, the listing by a potato farming association only has a "Viking," no color designated. The seed wasn't very purplish or reddish.

Funny how long the gardener waits to find out what's been goin' on, under a potato plant.

Steve ;)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol Sounds like you're in for some interesting potato growing :D

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

For those of you, who have tried purple potatoes, do you have kids? If so how do you get them to eat them? Or are they just more up for change? I would like to try them but not even sure if I could get the husband to eat colored potatoes. I got purplish onions one year and am constantly being asked"what is that it my food?" and they are minced.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I had the same issue with my hubby, who before me was used to frozen dinners and chef boyardee (he can't really cook....at all...) Especially I ran into that problem when I would tell him what dinner was called in Korean when I started cooking my own native food for him for dinner. He now calls it "stuff" because he can't pronounce the names lol. I say ask them to take no thank you helpings. That means take 2 regular size bites. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it anymore. It's always worked for him. Though I would imagine for kids it might be easier because kids normally like more color in their food. Hope that helps!

Oh and I grow a lot of my own stuff I cook with in the garden myself. I freeze a lot of veggies too. But when picking new to him (hubby) varieties and such I always include him so he sees what they are, what the flowers look like etc. When he likes what something looks like while growing (from others' photos I find on the internet) it makes him more interested in the actual produce the plant grows and produces. I hope that makes sense?
Last edited by WinglessAngel on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I should have clarified, all four are teenagers, so colorful isn't really their thing. For example I put butter and milk in my mashed potatoes but my mother-in-law uses cream and butter. Which I really like but I tried it and I was asked why I changed the potatoes because they liked them just the way they were. LOL

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ahh well I would still try the "no thank you helping" method. They have to eat 2 bites, don't like it don't eat it. But if they don't want to eat it they're responsible for making themselves something else to eat. It's the way I've always run my household, not sure it if will help you or not lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Oh and you could do a little fibbing and fudge the truth a little. You could always tell the kids they've eaten the purple potatoes before, they were just peeled before they ate them and mashed into mashed potatoes lol.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh, I make enough other things, that they either find something at the table to eat or go hungry. It just is nice when they eat what you make, that they do it with a happy face because honestly I could do with out eating and be fine.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I understand :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Viking is neither purple nor red past the skin. It's white. Daisy Gold is gold, right thru.

I did once grow a purple fingerling. I don't remember what DD thought of it but I think she ate them just fine.

I once read that if tomato sauce on pizza didn't count as a vegetable, one-third of American teenagers would not average one serving of veggies a day ;). DD and DS have always done well but were exposed to garden-fresh from a very young age.

I didn't like 'em. No, I mean the purple fingerlings ... See above about early varieties ... almost no fingerlings are early. The real problem was the color.

Most people are like puppies, afraid of anything new. I can still remember the first time I tried a gold, Yukon Gold. I thought those mashed potatoes were just full of rich, golden butter! With the first bite, the resentment set in. It took a little time ...

:) Steve

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I was a different sort of child. I would order salads at restaurants and get yelled at because we were "at a nice restaurant" and I should "order something other than a salad". lol

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

HaHa! Being on the farm as a child, and then when I grew up, people around me were always ordering steak or ribs, etc. I never could figure it out, I was so sick of that. Your at a nice restaurant "why aren't you ordering seafood". lol

On the flip side, my now college son loves to come home and eat real food, and he will eat just about anything.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I'm still somewhat that way too now as an adult. Some days I would just rather eat my vegetables rather than any sort of meat, though bacon wins me out all the time if available lol

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

HaHa! Being on the farm as a child, and then when I grew up, people around me were always ordering steak or ribs, etc. I never could figure it out, I was so sick of that.

Exactly my experience, Sweetiepie. if we had nothing else, we always had beef. I would search through the freezer thinking, "Anything but Beef!"

But not salads ... I didn't even know I liked lettuce until my wife's grandmother prepared "wilted lettuce" from her garden. You know, with the bacon crumbled on top.

;) Steve

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Well....Bacon kindof makes just about everything better.....lol

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I agree bacon does make it better. Our family seemed to go in cycles and mom never dug to the bottom of the freezer so you had a season of the same thing. Fish in the summer, chicken and beef late summer, pig in the fall, venison in the winter and sausage during the spring. All sounds good if it wasn't every night for weeks until gone. But that is a first world problem.
Wow, did we ever get off topic. What fun!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol No worries :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Went out and actually did a tiny bit of gardening today, tiny though lol. I bought some celery from the grocer yesterday and I stripped all but the center leafy stalks and I got them planted just a bit ago. Celery is one herb that I forego my usual non gmo organic mantra about because it's the only way I can seem to get it to grow. Plus the upside for me is they grow off, as in off from the way they should grow. I get huge nice succulent leafy greens and poor stalks. But, that's what I want so it's not the norm but it works for me. I only use the leaves anyway. When we had our bunny he would get the leaves too. He loved them. But I do grow organically here, or as close as I can get to it so that helps too after they're planted.

I did a review of my floral list and everything but the French Dwarf Marigolds are coming back :D woohoo! Granted I will still need to seed more of my Columbine but I have 4 plants that came back from my original 6! Jerusalem Artichokes are starting to pop up as well. The rest of the flowers are coming back in beautifully. Sadly though, only one lone rose bush made it through the winter to come back thus far. It produces huge fragrant blooms, color seems to change year to year slightly. It was a fluke too so we don't know what it is. It was labeled as a different rose bush that it most definitely did not end up being lol. Aside from already planting my Lemon Queen Sunflower seeds all the flowers are done but the Marigolds for hubby and reseeding more Columbine.

Oh and I even spied one lone emerging Mini Bell sprout in the seeding pots in the greenhouse this morning.

I also have my Mint coming back, as well as, Korean Anise Hyssop, Parsley, Sweet Marjoram, German Oregano (I think that's what I planted last year), possibly my Thyme too. My Parsley came back kick butt this year I'm hoping it will just keep self seeding though last year was not a flowering year but this year should be.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My family didn't eat pork. Fortunately, the Farmers Pack would make beef bacon and sausage for us. Our chicken flock never amounted to much more than a collection of pets. No, we often ate beef 3 times a day. And, did I say anything about gallons and gallons of cow's milk ... quarts of butter?!

:D, have you grown par-cel, 'Angel?? You may be able to skip the supermarket celery if what you are wanting are leaves, and more leaves! (LINK)

I found the small plants very easy to grow. However, I couldn't come up with much use for leaves.

The difficulty I had growing conventional celery, led me to try celeriac (& the par-cel). Celeriac requires almost an entire season, after its indoor start in late winter. That's okay, I've learned that it's trustworthy, it keeps well, and it's delicious in mashed potatoes and soups!

We just call it celery root and that's about what it is - just an unusual variety of celery.

:) Steve

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ooh! That is right up my alley then! I may give that a go then next year for sure. I didn't realize there was such a thing like that. I knew about celeriac and celtuce but not par-cel. Definitely something I'd be willing to give a go. I would like to avoid the store bought ends to be sure. I just never could get it to grow well from seed. The best I ever got was a few inches in height lol!

Actually I do have a few dollars in my PayPal account. That listing says after the last frost. I would still have time to get some seed. I'm going to go do some searching....;)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I just grow celery in clumps in the garden. It is strong flavored but make great freezer stock for the off season to flavor soup/stew/sauce. It grows well in the aquaponics.

This was started from seed. Last year was the first time I grew fairly successful...almost to peanut butter size but still strong. I blanched them with a split solo cup and a piece of tape until they busted out.

I also take the butt end of celery and put them in the AP.

I just tried the top off a Daikon in the AP a few days ago. I couldn't believe it was putting on leaves in 3 days. I don't know if the root will grow back. I'm hoping it will flower and give me seeds to add to my collection.

Here is the baby pak choi. This is a first for me. It grows fast and much lager than normal.

Here is the Michihili cabbage. Another first. Grows fast also. They both are stealing all the nutes from my spinach and lettuce.

I am planning to try my first Kimchi with these. I still need to find some kind of fish sauce or salted shrimp. Let me know if you know of substitutes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”