WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Re: Readying for the season - Sharing your growing list!

Ugh, thanks to mother nature and my greenhouse cover going up the creek all my seedling pots from my seed starts (save maybe a dozen) are all dead and dying. Hubby and I have plans to save up by the end of the growing season now to purchase a better greenhouse kit for next year with polycarb panels and roof vent etc. But for now I'm stuck waiting until the weather warms to direct seed instead of using my seed starts I had going. I also don't have anymore seeds for a number of varieties I had started and hadn't planned on purchasing anymore so I'll have a number of empty garden pots to fill and find things to grow in. Luckily I can get some inexpensive seed locally that's still non gmo and heirloom/organic if I find something I like I can purchase still. Sooo angry at mother nature and my greenhouse cover! >.<

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

That is terrible!! I keep wanting a greenhouse, but one just won't work here, due to the wind. I would have to build a building with no plastic. I don't have funds for that. So sorry.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111578242832?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

That is the one I have my eye on. It's for the most part affordable but yes still a large buy. For the money and the amenities and the wind protection it would make you a good greenhouse. We are going to be putting it on our back deck so we can anchor it down. It comes with anchoring hardware etc to anchor it onto concrete and or wood. You can have your greenhouse even in high wind areas :) The polycarbonate plastic is not soft plastic it's twice as strong as glass or so they say. Just something to think about for you :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I built a sunshed greenhouse ... in fact, I built two, except the second one has a hoop house attached.

I live in an old house and when the neighbors decided that they didn't need an alley, they built garages right up to the back property lines. These decisions must have been made about 50 years before I got here. Anyway, there was only a short wood fence between the garages.

When the neighbor on the street behind came over and offered us his tiny garden to use I asked him about a shed. "It will look the same from your side as it does now," I claimed. It doesn't quite because the south wall on his side, altho' built with old fence boards, is a little higher now so that rain & snow drains off the roof.

That wall is taken out every spring and a hoop house goes up, on out over 2 of his garden beds. The south wall could be just as easily taken out and be replaced by plastic film or glass windows. By the way, he still has use of his garden through the summer and we have tried to help him gear up for the season with a thorough weeding and plants to set out.

I had to buy a few fence boards and some hardware for the doors. My access is through my fence. It is kind of a "through the wardrobe" experience for me .. :)

Steve

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Sounds like a great relationship with your neighbor. I wish our neighbors here were nice like that lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

So after some consideration all day yesterday, hubby and I have decided to add a few more things to the garden to take up some of the empty space that will be left from my seed starts dying off. I was able to find more Armenian cuke seeds to replace my dying plants. To save some money I went with Cutting Celery rather than Par-Cel seed, simply because the cost is exorbitant for the Par-Cel seed. I've now added Sweet Italian Golden Marconi Peppers, Italian Romanesco Natolino (Broccoflower) and Italian Purple of Siciliy Cauliflower to the garden. Hubby said we should try something weird and different. So hence the last two on the list. He loves Broccoli and Cauliflower.

I was able to purchase from a garden store US based that ships extremely quickly off of EBay who I've bought from before. All but the last two from one store and the last 2 from another store. All non GMO and heirloom varieties. So I'll be direct seeding I guess rather than seed starting for the remainder of the garden season once warmer weather sets in here hopefully by the end of the month. I'll be a bit late starting but I was way late last year anyway. I didn't get my garden going until mid June! (That's a whole other story but my garden made it and produced well) So I should be ok. Fingers crossed lol. So much for my garden plan schematic I started with. It's gotten all shot to hell now. But gardening is always an experiment (I say) so bring it on Mother Nature :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”