WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Readying for the season - Sharing your growing list!

Getting ready here for our NE Ohio growing season. We still have snow piles that haven't fully melted off yet but the warmer weather is starting to set in. I have my seeds already and have a few more on order/on their way. Here's my growing list for this year, not as much variety as the last few years, but it will do! What's on yours?

Herbs:

Dark Opal Basil
Napoletano (Lettuce Leaf) Basil
Thyme
Mint (We have a huge patch the regrows on it's own each year and has been well known to grow to 5-6 feet tall plus!)
Marjoram
Oregano
Parsley
Celery (I only use the tops for cooking so I consider it an herb for my garden)
Cilantro (If it comes back this year)

Vegetables and Fruits:

Rainbow Mixed Bell Peppers
Green Bell Peppers
Armenian Cucumbers (I'm going to give them a try again this year in a different locale)
Cabbage (I can't remember the variety at the moment)
Triple L Crop Tomatoes
Beefsteak Tomatoes
MiniBell Tomatoes
Giant Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Peas
Streamline Runner Beans
Black Seeded Yard Long Beans
Royal Burgundy Garden Bush Beans
Cherokee Yellow Wax Garden Beans
Black Sesame (I guess this could go under my flower growing list but they do put out produce in the end in seed form)
Thai Tiger Eggplant (Again for a second try, but in a different locale)
Sugar Baby Watermelon (We grew them from store plants last year but they literally only got the size of small plums at best. I saved the seed from them to see if they would grow the same size again this year. Last year's were fully ripe, super sweet, but tiny! Hubby wanted to see if we could grow them as he put it Bonsai sized fruits from the saved seed lol)
Scarlet Nantes Carrots
Manoa Lettuce
New Red Fire Lettuce

Flowers:

French Dwarf Marigolds
Love in a Mist
Purple and Red Columbine
Korean Anise Hyssop (Technically grown for making tea with and garnishing, but we really like the flowers. They draw in beneficial bugs, butterflies and even the occasional humming bird too)
Roses (If our poor bushes come back this year)
Jerusalem Artichoke (Produce plant I know but we really only like them for the flowers lol)
Tiger Lilies (They're all over our property in places but I try to take care of them anyway)
Yellow Iris (I have a patch I take care of that comes back each year)
Daffodils (Same as above)
Wysteria (Same as above)
Purple Clematis (Same as above)
Hubby's Spider Wort, Bonsai's and Indoor only Phalenopsis Orchid
Purple Rhododendron (Love seeing my flowering giant bush out of my home office window!)

That's my list, what's on yours? ;) Just thought I would add a bit of fun to the mix. I've been off the forum since the end of last growing season so I thought I would post a fun thread. :lol:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have quite a long list. One of the reasons I enjoy being a gardener rather than a farmer is the varieties I can grow of many different species. It also gives me a chance to be successful - maybe not in every corner of the garden but something is likely to do well, somewhere! It's just a matter of the odds ;).

I'll start off and see where this goes. I won't go into perennials. There are plenty but they aren't my forte. Few are vegetables and here we are in that forum. Besides, there are quite enough annuals.

Herbs:

Basil, nufar, lemon, lime, dolly, siam queen
Parsley, Italian, curly
Cilantro
Dill

Vegetables and Fruits:

Cabbage, early & late Dutch, savoy
Broccoli, packman
Kale, Scotch, Portuguese
Peas, Oregon Sugar Pod, sugarsnap, green arrow
Beans, jade, king’s banquet, cascade giant, niki
Soybeans, bei
Corn, sugar buns, native gem
Radish, cheriette, red velvet, white Russian, German giant, hailstone
Carrots, sugarsnax, napoli, yaya
Beets, red ace
Parsnips, andover
Celeriac, brilliant
Peppers, early jalapeno, Anaheim, marconi, giant marconi, king of the north, super chili, Thai hot, garden salsa
Eggplant, epic, apple green, pingtung, rolecks, shoya
Cucumbers, Talladega, speedway, muncher
Melon, diplomat, goddess
Squash, winter sweet, burgess buttercup, bitterroot buttercup, ambassador, goldrush
Pumpkin, rock star
Leek, lancelot
Onion, lillias,, kyoto negi, tokyo white, fukagawa, esteem, ovation, candy, walla walla, red devil, sierra blanca
Lettuce, forellenshlus, salad bowl
Escarole, Batavian
Spinach, unipack 151
Bok Choy, san fan, mei qing choi, lu lan
Maruba Santoh
Choy Sum

My list of tomato varieties is already on the tomato forum. (There aren't as many varieties as in recent years ... I think ;).) Many things have now been started indoors. There is a mix of winter squash that I'm looking forward to planting - a mix from cross-pollination. More lettuce seed is likely to be purchased. There are several bean and pea varieties that I have received from other gardeners and will have to make some decisions on what I will grow when the moment comes, out in the garden :).

Steve

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

That is quite a list! I have been contemplating sweet corn but it's not one I've grown before. Corn was a possible for the list this year but it takes up quite a bit of space that I haven't even begun to ready up yet for planting. If, IF (big if) we get an area cleared out soon enough behind my back deck I might attempt a corn "privacy fence" of sorts lol We have some work to do around our back deck and part of the back field which would free up some space for planting, Though hubby wants to also plant some climbers back there too, likely flowers. I would love to keep growing winter squashes of some sort too because they do do fairly decently with our dirt but we use so little of it I want to devote the space to things we use more often or trying something new. Would love to see your garden spaces once you get them planted up. So much variety out there!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Ok you asked

Peppers
2015 Pepper List

Sweet

Anaheim (powder)
Cal Wonder
China giant
Greek pepperochini (pickled)
Corno di toro (powder)

Hot pepper

Serano
Orange habanero

Super Hot

Pimenta Lisa - It will start out dark purple and ripen to whiteish. Not hot C. chinense F3 2014
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion - not as prolific for some. C. chinense Isolated seeds 2012
7 Pot Barrackpore - One of my all time faves. Blocky pod and productive 2012 C. chinense
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - Ext. prod. very hot. paper thin for powder C. chinense 2012
Trinidad Congo Red -heavy producer with terrific flavor and good heat C. chinense 2011
Yellow Scorpion CARDI - fav. heavy producer and great taste, plenty of heat C. chinense 2012
A. Yellow 7 Pod (Brain Strain like) Massive heat, not your standard Yellow 7. C. chinense 2012
Bhut X Yellow 7 Pod - Very popular on THP forum for heat, flavor and prod. C. chinense 2014
Brown UBSC - (Unknown Brain Strain Cross) Very Hot C. chinense 2014 (normally red)
Yellow Tobago Scotch Bonnet - fav. of all Scotch bonnets except maybe MOA C. chinense 2014
Naga Morich (Naga like anyway ?) pleased with production and heat. Red C. chinense 2014
BOC (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) All the rage on the forums last couple years besides MOA and
EOB (Elysium Oxide Bonnet) x Douglah and a Scotch Bonnet C. chinense 2014 F4 Superhot
EOB Mustard - turned up last year, not as hot, Good flavor and prolific. C. chinense 2014 F2
Yellow Barrackpore - C. Chinense 2014
Inca Red Drop - C. Baccatuum 2011
Fatalii - C. Chinense 2011
7 Pot Jonah - C. Chinense 2012
Bhut Jolokia Indain Carbon - C. Chinense 2011
Aji Limon - C. Baccatuum 2012
Beni Highlands - C. Chinense 2012
Peruvian White Hab - C. Chinense 2011
7 Pot White - C. Chinense 2012

7. B. Yellow 7 Pod (Does not include Brain Strain like, seeds larger) C. chinense 2012

2015 Tomato List

Ambrosia Gold - sweet golden small cherry, very high brix
BKX- Black Krim Potato Leaf
Black and Brown Boar- striped brown 4oz fruit, tasty, heavy producer
Carbon- wonderful large fruits, abundant producer, great taste
Girl Girl's Weird Thing- from 5oz to over 1 lb striped fruits, productive, tasty
Indian Stripe Potato Leaf
Malachite Box- many peoples favorite GWR (stays GREEN)
Paul Robeson- famous delicious mediom ,brown fruits good producer
Sakharnyi Pudovichok- huge, abundant, sweet red fruits with good shelf life, a keeper!
Sugar Drop- from JandL, sweet large orangy cherries, abundant
Terhune- large pink juicy superb Brandywine, low production but worth it!
Wes- med to large red meaty abundant delicious hearts, growing second year in a row
Limbaugh's Legacy Potato Top. wonderful beefsteak, delicious, great production, PL
Black Cherry
Mazarini
Super Beefsteak
Better Boy

Pineapple
Cherokee Purple
Martino

Backup hybrids for disease resistant

Better Boy
Superbeef

2015 Aquaponics

Spinach
Kohlrabi
Kale
Chard
Rogur Red lettuce
Giant cesar
Balck seed
Baby pak ckoi
Muchilini

2015 herbs

Anise hyssop
Dill
Cilantro...mostly for corriander
Cumin
Lime Basil
Common Basil
Thyme
Oragano
Parsley
Rosemary
Catmint
Fennel
Cumin
Lemon balm
3- Monardas/ bee balm

Ok, where was I...

Mums..Robinson Reds
Zinna's make her happy
Nasturium
Aster
Viola
junk load of bulbs to add to the existing
Butterfly weed

Oh the legumes,

Kentucy wonder
Blue lake
Hales Best
Minnesota Midgets
Some asian...have to lok it up
Wisconsin picklers
Marketmore 76 cucs

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Wow, I'm in awe lol I try to keep a bit of variety in my garden but that's a lot of growing you're planning. Though granted I don't grow an overly large garden. I'm going to assume from that long list you plant a good sizeable garden each year?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Any planting list must start out with what I call the BIG 4. Corn, Potatoes, Beans and squash. These are the items that give us calories to go on. After that I add radish, lettuce, carrot, turnip, broccoli, cabbage, chard, spinach, kale, beets, cukes, peas, onions, garlic, dill, melons ................ Then there is the perennial stuff, asparagus, chives, pie plant, berry bushes and fruit trees. Then decorative stuff like pumpkins and gourds. Then flowers, oh yes, both perennials and annuals. Peonies, poppies, pansies and petunias. Sun flowers are fun too.

Well, that is a partial list. It goes on from there..........

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "Getting ready here for our NE Ohio growing season. We still have snow piles that haven't fully melted off yet but the warmer weather is starting to set in."

How nice. It doesn't seem like we had winter here. The ground has been bare since January 1. We did get a little snow in December, but it promptly melted. Pretty nice weather this month and I did sneak out and plant a few early things, but know it is too early in this country for most stuff. Here at 5000 ft elevation in a mountain valley I have seen snow every month of the year. It would not surprise me if the next storm that came through would dump a foot of snow on us. Yet to be seen? Storm coming soon the TV WX man says.

I just have to tell myself, be patient, relax, do some planning, and be ready to plant mid April when it is really time. :)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

We've gotten a lot of snow. We've been under a near constant flood warning for about a week I guess now. We're right on a creek too and it overflows a lot into the back field so we take care when flood warnings and such get given out. We've had water flowing down our road before from run off from the creek over flow. We've had quite a few solid heavy snow storms nearly in a row for a while so the warmer weather has caused a lot of problems. Though we trade one snow problem for a flooding problem, good with the bad I guess. The Ohio River is bad bad right now. We're a long ways from it but the creek that runs behind the house and fields gets run off from it.

Nice to see you on here too Jal, it's been a while since we spoke last lol.

My planting lists have undergone a drastic change the last couple of years though. I've taken up my native heritage cooking wise and spiritually so my gardening has somewhat reflected that. A lot of veggies that get used in the Korean cooking I do I can't get locally or have to sub in with local produce that I can find. So my gardening is changing a bit. I'm testing new varieties (to me) every year to see what I can get to grow here. Black Sesame was pushing the envelope a lot last year but I managed to get it to grow so I put it back on the list for this year. My Korean Hyssop is already coming back too (yay!), which is awesome because it brought in a ton of great butterflies and such to the garden last year and did beautifully. I have so many seed from the half a dozen plants I started with lol.

This season may not be as full of variety as I would normally try to plan (hubby and I have some financial issues we really need to be watchful of and budget for that have come up) so spending the big money on a large variety of seed this year wasn't on the cards. I tried to plan accordingly but still so that we will have plenty of good growers to freeze and keep in stock to use etc. I still have beans from last year I'm using from the freezer and snowpeas! :D

imafan26
Mod

My list is a little different since some things are pretty much a continuation

In progress
pineapple
rosemary
bay leaf
Jamaican oregano
Peppermint
Lemon balm
lemon grass
stevia
tabasco pepper
super chili
Waialua pepper (jalapeno)
cayenne
Bhut jolokia
Trinidad scorpion
Anaheim
green onion
chives
cucumber, suyo and shiyo kyuri
Gourd, round and long
Tomato beefsteak, red cherry
Kale, toscano, blue, vates, Tronchuda Beira
fennel
borage
pandan
Chocolate mint
Thyme: lemon, English, French
strawberries
Kai choy cabbage
green onions
Chives garden and garlic
ginger
culantro
nasturtium
Greek oregano
chayote

Planning on starting sometime
Corn, UH no. 10
Corn Silver Queen
Eggplant, long green, Black Beauty, Thai tiger, long purple, Pintung long
Tomato sungold
Bell pepper yolo wonder, yellow bell, chocolate bell
Peppers:
cayenne, corno di toro, aji, serrano, guajillo, thai hot, cubanelle, Hot Portugal, banana, Hungarian Wax, Chinese Giant, Red Knight.
Sunflowers
dill
lavender
pineapple sage
Russian sage
cilantro
Haricot vert bush beans
Poamoho pole beans
Oregon sugar peas
Meyer lemon (from cuttings)
Kaffir lime (from seeds if I get any)
gladiolus (adding a few more)
alyssum
geranium (replanting)
Italian parsley
swiss chard
beets

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Already started, in trays on the front porch (assuming they all survived the cold last night...about 30 degrees. I didn't bring them in, but they're cold weather stuff):

various lettuces
Red Russian Kale
Collards
Super Snappy Peas
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
cabbage
a few puny overwintered "regular" Kale (in the ground)
a few overwintered/feral chives (in the ground)
turnips (in a container)
Carrots (planted in a container, not "up" yet)

Already started in the house:

Herbs (chives, dill, basil, oregano, parsley)
about 10 varieties of tomatoes and 7 varieties of peppers (all planted but not "up" yet)

Later this spring:

onions (bulbs to be delivered next week, last frost date here is mid May)

Summer:

cukes, zuchs, yellow squash, swiss chard, dragon's tongue beans, lima beans

Fall:

broccoli, collards, kale, lettuce, sprouts, rutabagas

I'm sure I left something off somewhere along the line....

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I'm glad I started this thread lol. It really does amaze me at how much our growing lists can vary and yet many still have some of the same types of fruits or veggies growing, ie tomatoes, potatoes, corn, etc. It's been really interesting so far to see everyone's growing lists! Oh and as far as forgetting something no worries, hubby and I always say we always forget something when we go to pick up things from the stores. We always do manage to forget one item!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ahah! I found the photo of the watermelons we ended up with last year. They were soooo sweet too. I ended up giving the fruit to our wolf as a sweet treat. They weren't really good for anything else. I saved all the seed I could get out of them all though. They were all this size when ripe lol
Attachments
10435128_735811863133361_3168747360100542882_n.jpg
10435128_735811863133361_3168747360100542882_n.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, I don't have much time, but quickly

veggies: several varieties of tomatoes, several varieties of peppers (I can spell out more later), cabbage, broccoli, celery, chard, spinach, kale, several varieties of winter squash, a few potatoes in containers, a few varieties of beans, including some scarlet runner beans.

herbs: parsley, cilantro, dill, caraway, chives, , dill, summer savory, fennel, green and purple basil, Russian tarragon, German chamomile, garlic, onions

flowers: coleus, lobelia, marigold, calendula, ageratum, impatiens, petunias, nicotiana, nasturtium, borage, cardinal climber, moonflower, cosmos, zinnia, sunflowers

there's probably more and that's only the annuals, but that's at least most of it.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Nice! Haven't spoken with you since last season as well. Hello again Rainbow!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"... wolf ..." ?

I thought of commenting on your choices as I went along and realized it would just add to the length of the list. Now, you've given me more of an excuse. First on your list: I like basil and Dark Opal is a favorite in amongst the ornamentals. Some folks say it's too variable but I think that's a good thing. Others say it is the best basil for drying - I really should try that with the fan method instead of buying basil in the winter. We do make and use some pesto. By the way, "Nufar" is a disease-resistant, Italian Large-leaf ... with a really weird name ;).

I very much like the flavor of purple beans, including Royal Burgundy. There I run into problems with what DW thinks vegetables should look and taste like.

Watermelon? I've given up. The cool nights through the growing season here means trouble for melons. James suggested seeds for one he grows successfully but this isn't Utah and I decided to try Blacktail Mountain for a 2nd time. Now, this is where that variety originated - I can very nearly see Blacktail Mountain from where I grew those plants, last year. They performed just about the same as yours, WinglessAngel! (And, I've grown Sugar Baby several times. :? ) It was a good year for my Galia melon: Passport. I've had that one and success with it for nearly 10 years. It's from the University of New Hampshire but the seed is getting hard to find. I've gone with another Galia this year, Diplomat.

On another thread, SusanW was wondering what we do with so much produce. I have large gardens and, yes, I sell some plants and vegetables. But, nearly all seed lasts for several years. I can buy different varieties each year, in larger packets. That gives me diversity and that's fun.

Steve
who is ignoring spud choices until he has a chance to scout around a little more but who will soon run outta time for such falderal ;)!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol Yes wolf. He's a rescue hubby got at 3 weeks that the DNR found shot twice and 3 shattered legs. He's been trained by the Red Cross as a pup under the guise of a German Shepherd Mix to be an asthma service "dog." He is my service "dog" for my asthma, he used to be hubby's ex wife's service dog as she also had asthma. He's overtaken me as his new "patient" and Mummy. He's now going on 10 years old and going strong!

As far as the watermelons go, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happened too. Makes me feel a little better lol. Though this year I'm expressly growing them from the same saved seed just to see if they do grow that small again. Hubby wanted to see if it would happen twice in a row.

My kitchen has a large center tiled island that hubby built and it's also the warmest place in the house so when it comes to an abundance of Basil, of any sort, I wash and dry the leaves on paper towels on the counter for use during the winter time. I've managed to keep myself in home grown/dried basil over the last few years fairly well and throughout most if not all of winter. I do the same with our feral mint patch as well since I use it for iced tea during the warm months and hot tea during the cold months (same drying process).

As far as the RBGB's, hubby had the same questioning attitude towards them until I asked him to try a no thank you helping (2 bites, don't like it don't have to eat it). He really likes them now and is amazed at how the water turns bluish purple when they're cooked/defrosted and how they turn green after cooking lol.

But I've managed to get him to try a lot of new things in the last few years and most of which he's liked, though I've managed to pretty much peg his taste buds anyway, (I should hope I have, if I haven't by now I have no business being married to him haha). He was quite skeptical of Korean cooking at first until I had him try a few recipes and now he calls it "stuff" because he can't pronounce the words/names of the dishes with his Scottish tongue ;).

Oh and I'm used to growing a lot of Basil as well because our previous rescue special needs bunny boy used to love it as a treat. I would give him some when in season as part of his daily veggie feed. My sweet boy passed on mid November of last year. He was abused for the first year and a half of his life, but he managed 2 loving and healthy years with us before he passed away in his sleep.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/thing-you ... .ale7w8Vwl

I've stumbled across this and I do believe these will be going into the list to grow. I found some seeds to purchase and with as prolific as they are I don't believe I'll need many seed lol. I'd love to make some quick pickles with these! That and the adorable factor is huge....

I've moved around some things in my garden schematic I've been using to help plan my garden for the coming season (just an excel sheet with my beds and pots marked out) and I was able to add in a section of my raised beds for some bantam sweet corn. So I guess I'll be giving corn a go this year after all. I went out back and took another good hard look at where I had thought to put up my idea of a privacy fence with the corn but it won't do. Water collects there frequently during rain and so far as I can tell, corn doesn't like wet feet so to speak. So I'll have a 4'x4' portion of my raised beds devoted to the bantam.

It will be in the top half of the last raised bed with the second half being my RBGB's and the next bed over will have my Cherokee Wax and Lettuces in it so it will be fairly well surrounded by friendly plants.
Last edited by WinglessAngel on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AverageWalrus

Here is my List, so far

FLOWERS

Marigolds (Burpee's Best Mix)
Sunflowers (Autumn Beauty Mix)
Velvet Queen Sunflowers
Calendula (Oktoberfest)
Blanket Flower
Strawflowers
Vanilla Ice Sunflower
Nasturtium (Jewel Mix)
Larkspur (Giant Imperial Mix)

BULBS

Gladiolus
Harlequin Flowers
Echinacea
Mr Fokker Anemone
Mexican Shell Flower

Vegetables & Herbs

Early Italian Bush Bean
Ruby Queen Corn
Bell Peppers (Carnival Mix)
Big Max Pumpking
Orange Tendersweet Watermelon
Super Beefsteak Tomato
Cucumber (Straight Eights)
Basil (Unknown Variety)
Parsley (Unknown Variety)
Oregano (Unknown Variety)
Sage (Unknown Variety)
Rosemary (Unknown Variety)
Thyme (Unknown Variety)
Cilantro

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Sounds like a great garden Walrus! Everyone's lists are amazing me at the variety :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Angel, good to see you back!! :)

RE drying the herbs, just pick some stems of them and hang them upside down in a dark, dry place. I band the stems (of one kind of herb) together and hang them upside down inside a paper bag, which theoretically helps to absorb some of the atmospheric moisture and makes sure they stay in the dark.

So when you have a bed of say lettuce, do you plan for what to put in it after the lettuce is done (which is pretty early in the season)?

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I tend to dry individual leaves on the counter as they dry for me in just a few days. It's what I prefer but it's not for everyone :) Lettuce and such I usually just replant with more. I always buy lots of seed for the stuff that matures early so I can replant. We use a lot of lettuces here, well before a whole lot when we had our bunny, but we also raise our own crickets for food for our leopard gecko and now tree frog as well. So fresh lettuce is always used no matter the size lol. The crickets eat the lettuce and leaves from some of the veggies grown in the garden so I tend to grow them their own food in the garden when I can in season. They're greedy little buggers! But I love fresh salads during season so I eat a lot of it too.

imafan26
Mod

I wish I could grow basil, but downy mildew has struck again

I also grew sugar baby watermelons. They were a good ice box watermelon but only produced three watermelons at most. So usually not worth the space I don't have to plant it. I get more than 20 fruit from gourds and buckets of chayote and the shoots are also edible, so I would rather let them have the space on the fence instead.

I do like butternut and kabocha squash. I won't get a lot from them, but they are worth it. I might add them to my list.

We do grow many of the same things, but I looked through the catalogs and pretty much we are growing seeds that are available. Unless you have specialty seeds or are a collector, we would probably be growing the varieties that are readily available.

Zucchini isn't much on anyone's list. Is it because of SVB or because they like other things better?

I do grow some ethnic foods
taro
Asian greens
jicama
Long beans
NZ hot weather spinach
Gynuura
Roselle
Araimo
ginger
turmeric
cardamom
lemon grass
Kaffir lime (actually a lot of different citrus trees)
Bilimbi
Daikon
Mizuna
shiso
dragon fruit

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Last year my lettuce leaf basil had a period of really slow growth and only got about 10" tall but they put out some great leaves. They sprouted fine but were slow to grow until about 5" or so and after that they shot up in growth but the slow growth spell took so long it took about half the growing season for them to come out of the slow growth phase. This year though I plan on planting more so I'll have more anyway even if they go through the slow growth they did last year. I have Minowase Daikon seeds still from last year but I'm not planning on planting any unless I need a space filler for some odd reason. They grew nice and tall leaves but the bases just rotted. We'll see. I went and picked up the pots I'll need for the Triple L Crop toms and the cucamelons this evening so I'm pretty much set until seeding time when I'll need to pick up some more potting soil. Otherwise my grow list is now set.

It's nice to see others growing some of the Asian varieties and such as well too!

fourfortytwo

veggies:
Jackson pickling cukes
Corinto slicing cukes
Yellow Pear, Sun Peach, Big Beef tomatoes
Hansel Eggplant
Veronica (Romanesco) Cauliflower
Chioggia Gaurdsmark Beets, Red Ace beets
Caraflex Cabbage
Sunrise Orange Peppers
Nautic Brussel Sprouts
Sarah's Choice Cantaloupe
Zephyr Squash
Atlas, Adeline, Purple Haze Carrots
Pearl Drop, Gold Coin onions, Scallions.
Shallots
Parsnips
Rainbow Swiss Chard
Spinach
Kale
Leeks
Kohlrabi

herbs, small greens:
Sage
Rosemary
Basil
Catnip
Cilantro
Lemon Balm
Chervil
Shiso

flowers from seed:
Delphinium
Foxglove
Lupine
Sunflower
Zinnias
Gomphrena (Globe aramanth)

bulbs:
gladiolus
toad lily
red hot poker
dahlia

I think that's it, I may have missed a couple, see my post in seed starting I had a few questions.
And anyone else here from Maine?

fourfortytwo

oh yes, 3-4 week mixed greens & nasturtium salads

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Lovely list! That nasturtium salad sounds interesting!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Planning on these:
Nantes Carrot
Utah 52-70 Celery
Homemade pickles cucumber
Cashflow Zucchini Summer Squash
Sweet Lightening Winter Squash
Walla Walla Onion
Sweet Spanish Utah Onion
Some Onion sets because I am not sure how my seed will do.
Sugar Baby Corn
Northern Xtra Sweet Corn
Blue Popcorn
Contender Green Beans
Tendergreen Green Beans
Green Arrow Peas
Salad Variety-leaf lettuce
Parris Island lettuce
Buttercup squash
Butternut Squash
Australian Squash
Tennessee Sweet Potato Winter Squash
White Pumpkin
Jumbo Pumpkins ( They never get very big here but the kids always have to try them)
Early scarlet Radish
Purple Plum Radish
Garlic (I have terrible luck)
Horseradish

Tomatoes:
Beefmaster
Martinos Roma
Speckled Roman
Tip Top
Roma
Crimson Beefsteak

Potatoes:
Red Pontiac
Red Norland
Gold Rush
Bintje
Kennetbec
Georgia Jet sweet potato

Peppers:
Alma Paprika
Ghost - Bhut Jolokia
Habanero
Paprika
King of the North
Hot Chili
Jalapeno Early
Habanero Mix- Red, yellow
Hot pepper Mix- Anaheim, Ancho, Long slim Red Cayenne, Jalapeno M, Hungarian Wax

Herbs:
Caraway
Caribe Cilantro
Coriander
Black Cumin
Marjoram
Mint
Oregano Vulgare
Flat Leaf Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Mexican Terragaon
Magic Carpet Thyme
Orinoco Tobacco ?
Mammoth Dill
Dark Green Italian Parsley
Basil

Flowers:
Purple Coneflower
Wild Flower Mix (to lazy to seperate it all)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I love your too lazy to separate, sounds like me! I'm a lazy gardener honestly. I do well enough though, I'm sure yours will do fine too! The Parris Island is what I had growing last year along with red romaine too. My romaine never got past what I would call baby greens size so we made do but they did grow well even if only to a max of about 8" tall. I'm so glad others share my enthusiasm for the new gardening season. Not many of my FB circle do. lol

kayjay
Green Thumb

Here's my list for my small condo space:

Overwintered hot peppers in containers: Cayennetta and Apache

Started:
- Tomatoes: Rutgers, Brandywine (from my own saved seeds :D ) and bush beefsteak
- Peppers: Early CalWonder and Early Jalapeno (courtesy of the webmaster last year, TY! :cool: )
- Lettuce: iceberg and Grand Rapids
- Basil, sweet
- Swiss chard, fordhook giant

About to start (next time I get to the grocery store:)
- sweet potato

Will start closer to last frost:
- cucumber, Chicago pickling
- zucchini, dark green

Will direct sow later on:
- turnip, purple top white globe (did quite well last year)
- kohlrabi (ditto, did well)
- peas, little marvel
- radishes, cherry belle
- spinach, Bloomsdale

I may do some string beans in summer, if I have any space left. Probably not. :>

I also allowed ONE (1) first-year garlic mustard patch a stay of execution last summer. Apparently, it's a pretty invasive weed around here. I will harvest it before it goes to seed and that may or may not be the end of it.

There is also an ugly, bare patch of ground on the condo property upon which someone, I'm not saying it would be me, might scatter random flower seeds. Image

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I like the flower patch idea. You can do those beans on a trellis in a container if you really wanted to ;) I use tote bins (the extra large oversize ones) when I don't have the space to put things actually in ground. Cheaper than regular pots and the plastic lasts a long time. I usually find them on sale or clearance and pick them up. Prices around here I usually find them between 5-7 a piece. Just put one of those garden trellises in it at the back and they'll have something to climb on. From your list you're managing to have a good size garden with what I imagine is very limited space. Sounds great to me!

kayjay
Green Thumb

Yes, I love the storage bin idea. I already have several with drainage holes drilled in them. My problem is lack of direct sunlight space. My yard faces NE, so I've got this narrow zone along my fence that gets direct sunlight for most of the day, and that's it. :/ It's probably about 12 feet by 2 feet. The rest is shade to filtered sun at best.

Square foot gardening FTW.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ahh I get it then ok. I have 4 large raised beds that are landscaped into one of our front fields, and then I have all my colorful tote bins for pots. Eventually though we do plan on expanding the raised beds so we can get rid of the rest of the bins but for now they work well enough for me lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Well it looks like I might be adding some Bennings Green Patty Pans to my list as well. I ordered my Royal Burgundy Bean seeds from High Mowing Seed this year and the quality was sorely off. So they've offered me replacements or store credit etc, so I sent them an email back saying I would try the Bennings Green Patty Pans from their store. I couldn't believe the poor quality of seed, I knew there would be crushed and broken/non viable seed when buying in bulk but the amount I received that way versus the 1/2 pound of seed I bought was far far too high in percentage of what I pulled from the bag. I'm leaving it at that and we'll see if they send them or not. At any rate, I've all my seeds potted in my starter pots for getting my seed starts going for the garden in my greenhouse now. If I get the patty pan seeds I'll put them in pots to start as well and put them out there. They'll just be started a bit later than the rest. The other half of my garden is pretty much direct seed so I'm fairly well ready for the season now until my seed starts get going and are ready to be planted, seeds direct sown etc. I just have a little more bed and planter readying to do otherwise. I'm as ready as it gets for this part of the growing season thus far lol

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Oh and I went out and planted a few Lemon Queen Sunflower seeds today too that I had gotten free with orders. They're scattered in three different places to help attract bees to the garden areas :D lol. I never make it through a season it seems without finding new things to add in all the while.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Potato choices made and planted. One sprout of Daisy Gold had made it to the soil surface. I don't know what that sprout thought about the 2" of snow that immediately fell on it or why it was in such a hurry with frost every morning :roll: . The Daisy Golds were my first attempt ever with saved seed. Growing early varieties and with less than ideal storage, my garden potatoes sometimes don't make it into February.

So, it was Daisy Gold, Viking and Russet Norkotah.

This will be the first year with Russet Norkotah. I'm still hoping for early harvests.

Viking confuses me! I've grown it several years and had decided it was more productive than any other, in my garden. I've known that some call it Viking Purple and others call it Purple Viking. What I hadn't expected was the garden center's label of Viking Red! Checking online, the listing by a potato farming association only has a "Viking," no color designated. The seed wasn't very purplish or reddish.

Funny how long the gardener waits to find out what's been goin' on, under a potato plant.

Steve ;)

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol Sounds like you're in for some interesting potato growing :D

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

For those of you, who have tried purple potatoes, do you have kids? If so how do you get them to eat them? Or are they just more up for change? I would like to try them but not even sure if I could get the husband to eat colored potatoes. I got purplish onions one year and am constantly being asked"what is that it my food?" and they are minced.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol I had the same issue with my hubby, who before me was used to frozen dinners and chef boyardee (he can't really cook....at all...) Especially I ran into that problem when I would tell him what dinner was called in Korean when I started cooking my own native food for him for dinner. He now calls it "stuff" because he can't pronounce the names lol. I say ask them to take no thank you helpings. That means take 2 regular size bites. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it anymore. It's always worked for him. Though I would imagine for kids it might be easier because kids normally like more color in their food. Hope that helps!

Oh and I grow a lot of my own stuff I cook with in the garden myself. I freeze a lot of veggies too. But when picking new to him (hubby) varieties and such I always include him so he sees what they are, what the flowers look like etc. When he likes what something looks like while growing (from others' photos I find on the internet) it makes him more interested in the actual produce the plant grows and produces. I hope that makes sense?
Last edited by WinglessAngel on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I should have clarified, all four are teenagers, so colorful isn't really their thing. For example I put butter and milk in my mashed potatoes but my mother-in-law uses cream and butter. Which I really like but I tried it and I was asked why I changed the potatoes because they liked them just the way they were. LOL

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Ahh well I would still try the "no thank you helping" method. They have to eat 2 bites, don't like it don't eat it. But if they don't want to eat it they're responsible for making themselves something else to eat. It's the way I've always run my household, not sure it if will help you or not lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”