Christian1971
Cool Member

Rabbits

Obviously if an animal wants to get in a fenced garden, it will. What height fence is helpful against rabbits. 3 feet, 4 feet?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Rabbits would go under, not over. I suppose you could dig down a ways and bury some wire mesh...

applestar
Mod

I've been using relatively inexpensive wire fence sold as "rabbit fence" -- 28" high with bottom horizontal wires spaced close to keep out baby bunnies... Upper two or three openings are about 4" square which make it possible to reach through to tend your plants. I like that they are low enough to step or reach over.

Very rarely, young semi-grown bunny/rabbit can learn to jump through one of the lower upper openings. I haven't had rabbits dig under so much -- More cases of squeezing through surprisingly narrow openings. Young groundHOG has been the dig under thieves.

Kageri

Anything over 2' is probably good. Slipping through the fence and under the fence is usually how rabbits get in. Especially if your ground is not completely even where your fence is. It only take a slight gap for them to decide to see if their head fits and the rest follows.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am sorry, where I came from if critters are messing up the garden, the critters gotta go. Do what it takes. Trap 'em, shoot 'em, baseball bat, whatever, just get rid of them.

Christian1971
Cool Member

are rabbits dawn and dusk feeders. I usually see them in early morning in the yard.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

For critter fence I like the mesh with 2 inch by 4 inch mesh. To keep critters from digging under, it is good to cut some pieces one foot wide and lay them on the ground next to the fence then tie to the fence. Digging critters will always start digging right next to the fence, but if there is a barrier there they have no luck. Another option is to get 4 foot tall fence and bend into the L shape.

Or, as JayPoc suggests, dig a trench and put the wire in the trench making an underground barrier.

Remember you have to put a digging barrier at the gate too.

applestar
Mod

jal_ut wrote:Remember you have to put a digging barrier at the gate too.
^^^^
THIS is SO TRUE!!

Most of the time they get in under the gate. I have a gate under which I ended up putting a softball or melon sized rock in every hole they dug until the entire entryway ended up with rocks -- now it has a "threshold".

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”