Arriga
Cool Member

Tomato Seed Question

This year I will be trying to grow my tomato plant from seed. My question is since 30 seeds come in a pack, how do I save the unused seeds for next year? Thanks in advance!

redneck647

Some people but them in the refrigerator but personally I paper clip the pack shut and toss it in a drawer with my other seeds.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I'm doing the same method as redneck, and I still have viable seeds 5years old so someplace dry is good. Ofc you can probably make them last longer if stored cool but to me just aint worth it.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I just fold the paper down 2 or 3 times, and put it back down in the big bag with all my other seeds. I've used some 3 or 4 years later with no significant drop-off in germination. Keep them cool, dry, and dark, and you're good to go. I just keep mine in a little space in my panty, or hang the bag from the inside of the door...lol...

imafan26
Mod

It depends on where you live. It is 88 degrees in the daytime on most summer days. It can be over 100 in a house that has all the windows and doors closed when people are out or at work all day.

If you don't get that hot and you don't have a lot of humidity, (I do), a drawer or box will do. Seeds have different viabilities and I have tomato seeds that are still sprouting after 5 years, but I do keep mine refrigerated. I have dill and beans still germinating after 9 and 13 years, but corn and zucchini drop off rapidly after a year unless the seeds are frozen.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have a cardboard box of seeds that resides in the garage (unheated). Seed packets go in there.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm one that refrigerates. Put envelopes of seeds in paper bag and put them in fridge or freezer.

I live where summers are very hot and HUMID. I have had seeds that never got put away and were left out all year. Some still germinated, but germination percent was significantly lower.

I think as others have said, that humidity is what ruins them. Note that James, who doesn't refrigerate, lives in a very dry climate. If you have a cool, dark, dry place you can store them, they probably are fine without refrigeration.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”