Arriga
Cool Member

Second year raised veggie beds

This will be my second season using raised beds. Last year, I made the mistake of stepping in them( which I hear is a no no. How do I prep beds for this season?

Mr green
Green Thumb

The reason is that you don't wanna compact the soil so that roots can grow more easily. So if it has gotten compacted you may wanna turn it a little bit.

And add some compost to the soil is a good idea as well.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Arriga - what are the dimensions of your raised beds? I like SFG because the 4' x 4' boxes can easily be reached into without ever having to walk in the beds.

I am installing some new boxes. My old box/bed was 4 4' x 4' boxes adjacent to each other and against the chain link fence. Not the best lay out.

This year I will have 2 4' x 4' boxes with a 3' to 4' space between the boxes. G can mow between the boxes and I have plenty of room to work from all sides. I do incorporate vertical gardening for indeterminate tomatoes and cucumbers. A rebar frame on 2 edges of each box. Twine for the tomatoes to be trained up on and chicken wire tied between the uprights for cucumbers.

I lost my herb bed when we had to have the tree removed so they will be in pots this year.

If your bed is long/wide consider setting boards or strips of plywood to provide a walk/work path in the garden.

imafan26
Mod

I have a wide bed too because I am using a raised garden I inherited when we bought the house. I use stepping stones in the garden bed so I can minimize where I step and because I have to have someplace to step to get to the plants in the middle anyway.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”