River

When to harvest lettuce

I have never grown lettuce. So I planted black seeded Simpson on 1/18 by 1/26 they were getting true leaves. I repotted inti 3 1/2 containers on 2/3 moved outside 2/7 then I got some larger 6 inch round containers and repotted on 2/11. They are doing well, I just don't know when it's time to pick them.

I would think the containers will restrict there full growth and they are in miracle grow.

imafan26
Mod

You can harvest the outer leaves of lettuce when they are about thumb size. Most lettuce can be harvested between three to six weeks. Cold weather will slow maturity and warmer weather speeds it up. You want to harvest the lettuce before it bolts. the center of the lettuce will try to head up and rise. The sap will also be milkier and the leaves tough and bitter.

Lettuce are usually planted out when the seedlings are around 2 inches tall, but I have transplanted ones that were 1/2 inch. Sometimes taller seedlings break easily. Transplant 10 inches apart. At maturity the heads will be touching or nearly so. Unless you eat a lot of lettuce you should plant a few lettuce seeds every couple of weeks since it is a highly perishable crop.
Attachments
DSCN0472.JPG
DSCN0464.JPG
manoa lettuce planted in aquaponic cinder bed. Manoa is a selection of green mignonette lettuce that has been adapted especially to grow well in Hawaii.  It is a type of mini head butter lettuce with good heat resistance.
manoa lettuce planted in aquaponic cinder bed. Manoa is a selection of green mignonette lettuce that has been adapted especially to grow well in Hawaii. It is a type of mini head butter lettuce with good heat resistance.
DSCN0463.JPG (49.92 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
manoa lettuce seedlings in tray ready to plant out. About 10 days old
manoa lettuce seedlings in tray ready to plant out. About 10 days old

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Simpson lettuce makes quite a large head. Of course it is edible at any size.

River

jal_ut wrote:Image

Simpson lettuce makes quite a large head. Of course it is edible at any size.
How large would u expect it to grow in a 6 inch container

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It doesn't matter how big the plant gets. My container plants generally stay smaller, but the leaves are just as good or better than from those grown in the ground. Grit is way less of a problem on container grown leaves. Harvest any time the effort gives enough leaves for use during a meal. Production is probably better when very few large leaves are left on the plant. Quality of the leaf is more likely to decline the longer that it stays on the plant. There is a reason that baby salad greens command a premium price.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

With lettuce the leaves are edible at any stage, however the very mature leaves may get a bit tough. Plant plenty, eat it!

applestar
Mod

With lettuce, the concern is more that its roots are more likely to get too hot and dried out in a small container, resulting in premature bolting. A larger container will keep it cooler. :cool:

...judging from jal_ut's photo, a lettuce could do well in a container of similar diameter to his hat. 8)

catgrass
Green Thumb

You are in Mobile, Al., and I am in SW Louisiana. Much warmer climate for lettuce. I always harvest when small-when it starts getting warmer, lettuce tends to get bitter real quick. Like someone said, take what you need for your meal, it will grow back.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

In the deep south, lettuce and arugula will give the best lettuce from mid fall through mid spring. Here in S.C. salad greens do well through the coldest part of the winter when covered with the cold frame or grown in a tunnel. Growth slows during the coldest periods, but the plants jump after just a few mild days in the low 60's or higher.

sweethearth2015
Newly Registered

Oh I wish I can eat that good looking lettuce. :) :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

River - I live in Lafayette, La. similar climate. Harvest as soon as you have enough leaves for a serving. Just pinch the leaves off rather than harvest the entire plant. DITTO Applestar - larger containers will prolong your harvest. Move them to a shady spot to delay bolting.

Do not expect a long season. Temperatures are getting up there and your lettuce will bolt.

DITTO Catgrass on fall planting.

I will be back shortly with information on fall planting.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres ... de2014.pdf

Because of the similarity of our regional growing conditions this information will apply to you. It is a large publication. There is a growing chart at the beginning. Scroll through to find specific information on growing greens.

I treat all greens (lettuce, spinach, collards, kale, mustard greens, cabbage), many root crops (turnips, carrots, beets), cauliflower and broccoli as fall crops.

Enjoy this years harvest and try fall planting next year.

Good luck

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Harvesting leaf lettuce is usually pretty basic. When I grew, did scatter sow, whether container or ground. In the 1st thinning, pull out some, and I think the fancy same is micro greens, or something. Just add to your salad, or eat as is like a bunny. As the lettuce grows, thin again, pulling whole plant, eating the leaves. Once big enough and thinned enough, go with suggestions above, that being keep picking outer leaves.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

sweethearth2015 wrote:Oh I wish I can eat that good looking lettuce. :) :)
I agree it looks wonderful!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

River -I forgot to mention - after the planting table in the publication there is a list of recommended varieties for the deep south. Varieties that will do well in your hot, humid climate.

Good luck

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”