imafan26
Mod

Quinault strawberries from roots not growing

I got some Quinault roots from Walmart and planted them a couple of weeks ago along with Mary Washington asparagus (rip off, the box said Jersey Knight, but it was my fault for not reading the bag.

The asparagus has started to sprout, but the strawberry crowns are firm so they are not rotten but they aren't doing anything. They are black. How long does it usually take for strawberries to start growing from crowns?

applestar
Mod

Were the roots in good condition? Did you soak them first?

When I plant bareroot crowns, I soak the roots in compost tea (nothing fancy, just appropriate depth container of chlorine free water with a scoop of good compost).

Length of soak depends on the plant but I believe I soaked for no more than 4 hours with strawberries -- started planting after two hours. Most of my mail ordered crowns already had leaves -- some with REALLY nice dark green leaves, others with pale wimpy ones. Only maybe one in 5 had no leaves.

With all if them, I think new growth started growing after they had established and started putting down new roots. I believe I was spraying them with liquid kelp at that point.

imafan26
Mod

I have always bought my strawberries from starts, so this is the first time I tried crowns. I did not soak them. The strawberries were pretty black looking but firm. There were a few large one but many small ones in the bag. None of them had leaves but the crowns were firm. I did not find much of a root system in any of them. The crowns are still firm, and they have been watered daily and out in the sun, but still no signs of life.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”