Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is Pumpkin in the Squash family?

I wonder if it is possible to make fried pumpkin slices just like fried Squash slices?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Cucurbit Family
A pumpkin is a member of the cucurbit (gourd) family. The cucurbit family includes pumpkins, squash, cucumbers, luffas, watermelons and melons. Most of the plants in this family are vines, however there are a few exceptions. There are four main species. Maxima, Pepo, Moschata and Mixta (also known as argyrosperma).

Go to https://allaboutpumpkins.com/index.html and learn more about pumpkins and squash than you ever thought possible.

applestar
Mod

I think most of the ones called "pumpkins" are pepo and maxima. So far, it seems to me that maxima pumpkins tend to be more flavorful, and field pumpkins are usually pepos.

How do you prepare your fried squash? Are you thinking fried as in pan fried or fried as in deep fried? Some pumpkins can be rather moist (mushy and moist or stringy and moist) so those might benefit from dusting with corn or potato starch first.

I LOVE kabocha tempura -- but I usually have to give them up and save them for my kids. :P

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's a good idea about dusting with flour, AppleStar.

I've already talked about this somewherez ... I don't really like summer squash. I'll likely be doing more exploring in the kitchen this year substituting pumpkin for where others might use zucchini.

Zucchini bread is fine but pumpkin bread is even better ;). I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to eat zucchini soup ... howsomeever, I'd advise those who would like that sort of thing to try pumpkin instead of zucchini.

And, yes - butternut squash soup is really good and winter squash used in place of pumpkin in pumpkin pie is the very best choice :). My advice, Gary, is wherever and however you might use zucchini, try pumpkin.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

IMO....... pumpkin is for decoration. If you want something to eat get a Hubbard or Banana squash.
Of course you can try it........ what you got to lose?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini, pumpkin, and sweet potato all make great bread, muffins, cake, pie. There is nothing better than garden ripe skillet fried squash dipped in buttermilk flour batter. There is 1 thing better, I NEVER liked okra until I had Tennessee southern style country fried okra. WOW.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Zucchini ... pie? ;)

Don't be trying that okra in pie, Gary!

I don't know, tho'. I just learned about navy, pinto and butter bean pies! No, I'm not kidding ... I wonder what those are like as desserts.

:) Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK Gary 350, did you try that pumpkin slice? Report please?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I LOVE kabocha tempura
Mmmmmmm. Kabocha tempura . . . .

Kabocha's also good in pumpkin soup.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's a good idea ... and a way I have used both kabocha and other winter squash.

Pepperhead talks about just roasting the pumpkin with the already prepared soup ingredients inside link .

On that same thread, AppleStar suggests using ". . . the less flavorful pumpkins and squashes in strong sauce or stew like curry and pasta sauce, lasagna-variant and ratatouille." I've never tried tempura or any of these, with pumpkin :? .

The zucchini soup recipe that I used with pumpkin (mentioned above) called for tuna fish. Salmon made it especially good.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”