Christian1971
Cool Member

Wild Turkeys

Do wild turkeys cause problems in a garden? I have seen about a dozen in our backyard yesterday. I know they hang out on our property.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

They shouldn't be a problem but I have never had a garden in their range. They will chase bugs and they might scratch up the mulch looking for worms and grubs. They will probably be more interested in clover than garden greens. They have also have been known to pull out fresh corn and bean shoots. An owl or hawk decoy should keep them out if they do pose a problem.

Christian1971
Cool Member

Are guinea hens good for a garden.

applestar
Mod

I don't think guinea hens could be good for a garden. One of the biggest problems with escaped or lost guinea hens that makes the news is how they scratch up people's lawns and flowerbeds into a dust bath to wallow in.

Like mature chickens, I suppose they could be used to prepare a ground or a compost pile by scratching up all the bugs and they could tear up and dig in a weedy lot while leaving behind their droppings to fertilize, but the guinea hens probably need to be kept out of seeded and planted gardens.

The horse stable I used to go to kept a flock to work the horse manure, eat ticks, and act as guard birds -- they make a big fuss every time a vehicle drove up the drive. They ranged all over the pastures and roosted in the trees at night.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We usually have one or two medium sized flocks wander through starting in spring staying around until late fall. They do not get into the garden. They love acorns from our two very large 100 year old oaks and black walnuts from several walnut trees in the area. Maybe with all those goodies that's why they don't bother with the vegetable garden.
Attachments
IMG_1722.JPG

Rairdog
Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:We usually have one or two medium sized flocks wander through starting in spring staying around until late fall. They do not get into the garden. They love acorns from our two very large 100 year old oaks and black walnuts from several walnut trees in the area. Maybe with all those goodies that's why they don't bother with the vegetable garden.

Nice pic Paul! I agree. Unlike deer that are after the easy green vegetation. A turkey needs just a small amount of greens which are readily available. Then it spends the rest of the day searching out protein in bugs. Domesticated birds such as chickens are there for a handout and will eat all the greens that are easy and take the bugs as they come.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A turkey would much rather eat a nice juicy grasshopper, than raid the lettuce patch.

Boy turkeys can easily become habituated to people and become persuaded that you too are a competing batchelor.

I have used aggressive Tom's as soccer balls from my electric scooter. They bounce pretty good too.

applestar
Mod

Tomc vs. Tom? :>

...electric scooter seems like an unfair advantage but are the wild ones as big as the barnyard white turkeys? My favorite Herb lady had a white Tom turkey that would strut around the Herb display tables. It was kinda big and made me nervous. When children were with the customers, she made sure to shoo the turkey away. But she didn't do that for me even though I'm short (she is a very tall woman).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Three S method.......... Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”