Gardener123
Green Thumb

Growing corn... Make sense to only grow 20-25 plants?

To grow only about 20 to 25 plants?

I have never attempted to grow corn, but in thinking that I need to swap some "crops" around, I may try some corn. My biggest concern is keeping the critters away.

But I don't know anything about how the timing works out.... Like will they all be ready to pick at just about the same time? If so, I would likely have to give a lot away, as there is only so much corn we can eat..... I still have not tried to can anything yet.

But if we do plant corn, any suggestions on a variety for Pennsylvania?

applestar
Mod

I think it depends on what you expect from your garden. I enjoy growing small -- 16-40 plants --patch of corn ...in fact I have been trying for several years and I think I finally got the hang of it in the last couple of years.

I like to be able to say to the kids -- this is OUR OWN corn from OUR OWN garden. Even if all we have are 2-4 ears at a time. Last year, I finally grew enough that when both DH and I *saved* the corn for the kids to eat, we ended up with leftover corn that had to be frozen. Corn freezes very well, BTW.

But when we EAT corn, DH will go and buy 18 ears at a time from a roadside farmers stand nearby. We found out that a dozen isn't enough. I can't compete with that in my limited garden space. So we enjoy OUR OWN corn as a special treat. I also stagger planting times and grow popcorn and flour corn, too. All for fun. I'm going to grow Glass Gem Corn this year along with other types. I'm thinking of trying Mirai Bicolor hybrid for sweet corn.

Here's a link to my experience from last year. Lots of other stuff in there, but basically covers seed starting (if you follow the posted link) to hand pollinating to harvest, I think.
Subject: 2014 Spiral Garden Garlic Onion Pea Corn Squash Cuke Beet

imafan26
Mod

In a small garden, corn takes up a lot of growing space. It usually is not a question of having too much corn, but what I have to give up planting instead. If you grow corn it needs to be grown in a block not a row of at least 4 rows by 4 rows. All of the seed needs to go in at around the same time. Corn is spaced 18-24 inches apart for good pollination, unless you want to bag your tassels and hand pollinate. Corn germinates in 7-10 days and matures between 80-110 days depending on variety. Corn ears are ready to pick about 10 days after the tassels appear and the silk dries. Unless you can plant out of season, you will need to protect the corn.

Expect to get 1-3 ears per plant. Most of the corn will get 1 some will get 2 rarely are there enough tassels left to fill the third. Do the math, figure out how much corn you can eat and how many plants you will need.

In my small space, I plant corn about 12 inches which is closer than normal. I can squeeze in 47 plants if I don't have anything else planted and I will get 67 ears which two people will polish off in a week easily. No leftovers and nothing to really give away. Most of the corn will need to be harvested within a short window or it will get starchy. But if it is cooked right away, it will maintain its sweetness.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn is a great crop. Does take a bit of space. I suggest 3 short rows spaced 30 inches. 3 rows is better than a single row for the sake of pollination. Take an 8 foot square foot plot and put 3 rows of corn on it (plants 10 inches apart in the rows) and it should do well. For a prolonged harvest you can make successive plantings two weeks apart. Use same variety of seed. You can also use corns of different finishing times, all planted the same day, and spread out the harvest, but I just stick to my favorite type and use the successive planting method.

I put a radio tuned to the local rock station in the corn patch to keep the critters out. Apparently they don't like the noise.

A little Rotenone dust just as the silks appear keeps the corn ear worms at bay.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

The area I have available to use is 8' x 12'...... so how best to plant corn in that space?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, if you wanted to spread out the harvest you could plant 3 8 foot rows spaced 30 inches, wait two weeks and repeat, etc.

If you prefer one main crop, just plant 8 foot rows spaced 30 inches all the same day to fill up the plot.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”