JayPoc
Greener Thumb

price point for well started tomato plants

Hello all. In 'real life', I teach and coach the golf team at a local high school. I thought I'd use my gardening hobby to help out the team, by selling some plants as a fund raiser.

To that end, what's a fair price for large (10-12") heirloom tomato plants in half gallon containers? I want to price these thing to sell as many as possible for maximum profit for the team. Priced too low, we won't make much money. Priced too high, we won't sell many (and make much money). I own a bunch of seed and hope to get some soil donated.

Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

for pricing use a cost plus method.
First you have to figure out your cost for materials, pots, seeds, media, fertilizer, water, selling licenses, etc. this will be your break even point.

There is no point to selling below your break even point since you will be losing money.

Once you figure out break even point decide on the markup. 20%-500%

Check around the local nurseries and stores that sell a similar product. Here pretty much size determines minimum price. Never put a cheap plant in an expensive pot.

Select a price somewhere between your break even point and the average market price.

I usually do not put tomatoes in gallon pots, I sell them in 3.5 inch pots. In gallon pots I put plants that take longer to mature and are relatively rare.

For plants that are rare like roselle, pandan, cardamom, super hot chilies Bhut jolokia or Trinidad Scorpion I can get a better price because there are not as many other sellers with that product. Some plants like Bay leaves take so long to grow that they have to be priced higher to recoup more of the cost.

You need to know your market and what they want. Mine pretty much only want edibles. For the last couple of years I can easily sell all of the kale I can grow. This year I am getting more requests for plants to attract beneficial insects and pollinators. Tomatoes are a hard sell. Big tomatoes here are not easy for the average person to grow, too much disease and pests. Cherry tomatoes are easier to grow and sell, but people want determinant tomatoes that taste good. Not too many of those around.

Some plants can command higher returns if they are popular and relatively rare. Sometimes it is hit or miss though, since you will won't always know what is trending.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Well, I'm hoping to have everything donated and use recycled materials, so this should be pretty much 100% profit. Also, since this is for the kids, the folks in the community are likely to pay a little bit more. Strictly tomatoes, for several reasons, and I do think there will be son interest. I had originally thought $4 per plant, but now I'm thinking maybe $6?

applestar
Mod

1/2 gallon containers are pretty big. I've seen them sold as high as $12 I think... And I remember thinking I wouldn't pay $9.95 for one. But it probably depends on where you live and local consumers. It's hard to say any more for me since I've been growing them myself for a while and I don't even look at them while shopping.

But in big box stores, don't they sometimes sell the 6 packs for ridiculously low prices?

So for a ready-to-sell premium price, I was thinking something like $7.99 tops. You could do 2 for $12, 3 for $15, kind of discounted pricing, too.

If you live in a community where veg plants are typically sold for much less, I would go with the lower, easy to add up prices like $5 each and 3 for $10.

Be sure to include a nice photo of the fruits in the display or price listing paperwork, etc. for better eye-appeal. Recently in a seed trade, someone printed small photos of the fruits and basic descriptions on regular printing paper, then used clear shipping tape to tape the essentially "laminated" label onto the coin envelope. It looked great and this might be a simple way to label the containers.

imafan26
Mod

I like Apple's idea of having a photo of the tomato on the label and it would not hurt to also put on the label that the proceeds are going to a great cause.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Our big box sells them for around $9 for half gallon, but they are very large plants!

I'm with Apple on pricing.

Just a suggestion..... The big box stores can't sell busted bags of soil. Maybe you could go around and ask the GM's if they could save those bags and donate them to your school! Maybe don't tell them for a fundraiser. ;)

imafan26
Mod

True if you are doing this as school project and you have a EIN, and enough time, the big box stores will donate to schools. If you are doing this from home and it is not sponsored by the school, that might be harder to do.

It would look better especially if you are selling premium plants to use new pots instead of a mix and matched set of old pots.

If you or anyone you know has an account at an agricultural supply, then you can get promix cheaper than at the big box stores with an account discount. You can also get pots there too. Buying pots by the the sleeve is usually cheaper than buying individual pots.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Yeah...this is through the school, and I do have some resources to tap in to. I went with $6/plant and a quantity discount. I think they'll sell. Doing this via preorder, and starting with faculty/staff first.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Follow-up...

I popped into the local Home Depot this afternoon. The manager on duty gave me 4 big bags of Vigoro organic potting soil. Never used the stuff before but it should do the trick. Thanks Home Depot!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

WOOHOO! That's super!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:WOOHOO! That's super!
Yeah, I *think* so. The stuff has some bad reviews on line, but I'd like to think it'll do just fine.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You could always doctor it up a bit. Post growing. :-D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Well, I'm hoping to have everything donated and use recycled materials, so this should be pretty much 100% profit. Also, since this is for the kids, the folks in the community are likely to pay a little bit more. Strictly tomatoes, for several reasons, and I do think there will be son interest. I had originally thought $4 per plant, but now I'm thinking maybe $6?"

I am thinking $5 would be good. You gotta think about what you might pay for a bushel of tomatoes locally down the road. A feller won't pay the price of a bushel for a single plant in the spring......... would he?

Hey, 8 oz plastic drinking cups work well as planting pots. Also you can cut the top off any empty gallon sized jugs you may have come up. These make good inexpensive planting pots too.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

In my area, the private nurseries sell single OP/heirloom tomatoes for $2 per 10" plant in a 4'' pot. I supply several nurseries with tomatoes and peppers and they pay me $1 per plant. My cost (as a former cost accountant) I figured at about 25 cents/plant.

The reason this area is so cheap is that most, maybe 95% of tomato growers buy the 6pack hybrids from the big box places or national chain stores and even the local hardware stores for a dollar or two for a 6 pack. The more people get to know OP/heirlooms, the more they will pay. I have gone from giving away extra plants to making a little money on them just because people are getting to understand what a good tomato is. Even Wal-Mart is now featuring some heirloom tomatoes in their plant selection. They sell cheap, but have very limited variety. That's why I grow many not so recognizable varieties along with the more popular ones. It is great if in other parts of the country you could get $3, $4 or even $5 per plant. Go for it.

If it was for a good cause most buyers will add a dollar to the cost just as a donation.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have found a large mom and pop nursery in Rock Hill that sells all bedding plants for about $12 per flat.l The plants are not as large as you describe, but I buy mine about a month before planting time and immediately up pot them to 1 gallon nursery pots. The plants get very large between purchase and time to place in the garden. The cost is about 30 cents per plant with the plants about 6-8 inches at time of purchase. The nice thing about Wilson's is that they carry a large selection of varieties. I've been told of a second location near Wilson's that has an even better selection with similar pricing. The typical price for gardening flats is $12-$15 here in S.C.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”