Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Re: What Do You Think About Pumpkins?

Pickle worms destroyed our later summer squash and cucumbers last year. Still early-ish though. Mid July is when they hit us. They're inconspicuous, too. Nasty little boogers. you don't know they're there until you're cutting them. Fat green worm with a little stripe. They bored into the pumpkins, too, just like you said.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Squash bugs can be a problem here some years. It doesn't take much more of a fix than conscientious searching, the realization that they want to hide, a sprayer with pyrethrum, and the willingness to do it over again in a week ...

Pumpkins are usually trouble-free even when squash bugs move in on the squash.

Something I cannot do is save seeds. The neighbor has demonstrated that in his garden with outrageous volunteers! Pumpkins and zucchini are C. pepo so they cross. They really seem to want to go outta there way for that! Opposites attract, huh?!

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pumpkins will cross with other squash and if you save seeds, next season you may get different looking fruits. Here is one example. The pic is of a fruit from a seed saved from a garden pumpkin. I suspect a cross between pumpkin and banana squash.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Some folks make beer out of pumpkins. There's a bigger brand called Pumking Ale. Several of my old friends from PA were raving about it!

I have a friend in Charlotte that's really getting into home brewing. Maybe I'll suggest it to him...AND give him some produce!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Beer?!

With no barley? Perish the thought! (Maybe there's barley ... I trust that there's barley :))

I've used winter squash with rice & raisin wine. The squash added a nice color but I'm not sure if it brought anything else to the wine ;).

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”