JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Anybody have a good source for seed starting supplies?

I want to order up a bunch of trays and inserts for seed starting. Who have you used that is A) inexpensive; B) good quality; and C) quick? I'm sure I could find what I'm looking for trough google, but I wanted to get a recommendation from you folks. Thanks!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Until last year, I have just bought locally despite buying seeds nearly every year from Johnny's, Harris, HPS, and others with extensive supply sections in their catalogs.

Lately, I've been a little frustrated with the local wholesaler. Sure, I'm small potatoes but I've always tried to make filling my order easy. Must be a little tougher for 'em than I thought.

Last year, the prices as much as anything tempted me to try the Greenhouse Megastore. I was pleased with the prompt delivery and quality of the products that I ordered.

Steve

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree. I get all my stuff like that from GreenhouseMegastore.com They are very fast delivering, their prices are as cheap as anyone and quality is quite acceptable.

imafan26
Mod

You can also make your own by using recycled materials. There's a huge thread all about that.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

imafan is right:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=22433

it is a good way to make use of things that might other wise go into the waste stream.

Look for some of applestar's seed starting pictures to see the beautiful and creative ways she does this.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Also re-cycle from the garden centers. I for one can't imagine having to buy trays! I did run shy of 3.5" sq pots and qt pots last season, but that's when I was selling more at the market. Inserts don't re-cycle very well. I did just order from GHMegastore. (More qts and the deep inserts. )

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

I've always gone to Urbansunshine.com They actually put a local store near me so I don't order online anymore but their trays are pretty strong and durable.

imafan26
Mod

I can get trays and pots at a discount and some second hand cheap ones from my orchid club. Sometimes people bring in pots (usually clay and cement) they just want to get rid of.

I can also use the club discount at one of the local agricultural suppliers the club has an account with and I can piggyback an order at the garden where I volunteer and buy from them with their discount. From Hawaii products online are not always that much cheaper because of the cost of shipping.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

For plastic pots and germination flats with and without holes, we've used Novosel Enterprises. Their pots are nicely structured and durable for year after year use. Also their germination flats are well constructed. They usually are better priced than Greenhousemegastore but we've ordered from them as well with good results.

url: https://www.novoselenterprises.com/default.asp

Hope this is helpful. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

thanks for the recommendation. I've been a greenhouse megastore customer for a long time and never heard of novoselenter. I took a quick look. This is the year I need to replace my collection of old, faded, cracked, falling apart hanging baskets, so I looked at those. Novoselenter has a better selection of styles at cheaper prices....

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We are big on searching and searching for low cost but good products. We've had the plastic pots, 1020 and germination trays for several years now. Wash and refuse. They seem to have a lot of nursery style stuff that works great for our seedling and flowers.

Glad the website had something you are interested in. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I don't feel bad about using my plastic pots, because some of them I have used for 15 years (I know because they are the white ones I bought at the beginning, all my recent pots are black).

On a per pot per year basis that comes out to around half a penny!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Another idea for seed starting supplies is Ocean State Job Lot if you have one near you. I've seen the 1020 trays there for a buck a tray. While not the cheapest, if your not looking for a large quantity, they are a great value and sturdy tray.

I prefer getting plastic even though it takes a lot more work to clean them every year but I can't use the peat pots and other supposedly biodegradable stuff without getting mold from bottom watering. So every year I wash my trays and pots with bleach water and rinse them so no bacteria comes into the next growing season.

It takes time but the benefits are worth it. And as RBG pointed out since most of the pots and stuff last for several years we really aren't harming the environment by throwing away stuff into landfills. I even have some 4" plastic pots that have been handed down from our Grandfather who at one time was an avid gardener. :mrgreen:

Who knows, maybe some of our kids will need some starter stuff like we did when they travel into seed starting... :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm..... not sure what you are wanting. For me regular grocery store 8 oz plastic drinking cups work very well for tomatoes. Punch a couple of holes in the bottom. Two seeds to a pot and they can grow in them till planting time. I use a bagged potting mix. (they are re-usable)

For starting onion plants, I made a box with scrap lumber that was 10 x 16 x 3 and just put some of my garden soil in it then sprinkled onion seed on it and covered the seed with some bagged potting mix.

We buy ice cream in a gallon plastic bucket. These too make good planter pots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”