Christian1971
Cool Member

Tomato/Pepper Cages

Can someone recommend a sturdy tomato/bell pepper cage.
I did see some, but they are like 30 dollars a piece. :eek:
Are the typical cone shaped ones acceptable for tomatoes AND peppers?

applestar
Mod

Cone shaped ones are generally useless for tomatoes unless they are shorter dwarf varieties that only grow to 4 ft max. It's sometimes possible to use them for determinate varieties if they are tied together and/or bridged with canes. Some people find zip tying a second one upside down on top works.

Take a look in this thread and see if there is a method you would be comfortable with:
Subject: Tomato Support Methods

Christian1971
Cool Member

Wow some excellent ideas! I love the idea of metal post and using clothing line. Then interweave plant as it grows. Getting support from each side, without cutting into plant. And it's green. You just saved me some $. Thanks

Christian1971
Cool Member

Wonder if fishing line would work. Or would it cut into plant stalk.

applestar
Mod

Fishing line is too thin. Remember, there will be movement due to wind and sawing motion. Even coarse jute can cause scarring (I tried :x)

redneck647

I second applestar's post. Fishing line will do too much damage. I've never personally tried it but being big into fishing I have seen what the stuff does to things its in contact with.
Personally I use wood stakes with tacks in then. I can tie yarn around the stake using the tack to keep it from slipping down. Then I loosely wrap it around the plant and tie it back to the stake.

brownrexx
Newly Registered

I have made my own tomato cages from a circle of concrete reinforcing wire but they rust and do not last as long as hog panels from the farm store. They are like the reinforcing wire but are galvanized and last for a really long time. I have not had any rust yet. They cost more than those cheap things sold as tomato cages but they work wonderfully.
DSC00614.JPG

Grandad

I also had problems with concrete remesh wire rusting so I decided to wire 3 legs made of half inch electrical conduit onto the cages. The legs have been in service for about 3 or 4 years and seem to be working well. An added benefit is that the legs allow the tomato cages to be a bit taller.

Christian1971
Cool Member

In regards to using feedlot panels. 16 feet long, 4 feet high. Would it be safe for my tomatoes and peppers if I plant on each side of the panel. Or go with what another member does. Put up two panels next to each other with about 3 feet of space in between. Place your veggies inside that 3 foot spacing, every two feet. Both sides would have support. The first option would only have one. So I would need to tie down the plant against the panel.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”