Rairdog
Green Thumb

Want to try Bak/Pak Choi

Ive never grown any of this. It looks to be a good cool weather crop and would work well in aquaponics. Most of the seeds for sale look to be F1. Is there any heirloom varieties that are not dwarf and have a good bulb. I would like to save the seeds.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Re: Want to try Bak/Pak Choi

I have grown many varieties of bok choy, including some OP varieties. evergreenseeds.com carries a number of non-hybrids, and the one I liked most of the three I have tried was the short white petiole (the other two being the long white petiole and the Canton choice varieties). This was mainly because it was the last to bolt, though all bolted way earlier than my favorite hybrid - the Win-Win hybrid - which is also one of the most cold resistant.
https://www.evergreenseeds.com/larleafpetty.html
Dave

imafan26
Mod

Won bok, pac choy and gai shoy (mustard cabbages) will all grow well in cool not freezing weather. They will bolt in the heat. I just harvested my first set last week and the next will probably be ready in two to three weeks, I hope.

I grow Hirayama kai choy because it is resistant to white rust and is a local cultivar that is recommended. I have grown the Michili type won bok which is thinnner and taller. I would probably try the win-win variety someday, it sounds good. I do prefer to grow baby bok instead of the bok choy because it is faster and does not form a head. They are also less prone to rot.
Kitazawa seed is a good source for a variety of asian vegetables.
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/index.html
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Thanks! I found some baby bok choi and some Michihli seeds today. They should do well in the aqauponics with wet feet. I will put some in the garden so I can save the seeds from both when they bolt. They kinda look like hosta pods from the pics I found.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”