hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

2015 Spring Planting

Today is lovely sunshine and 70 degrees. I planted four rectangular planters of lettuce, one of radish, and one of arugula. All were placed in the new cold frame. At some point the excess from those planters will be lifted and set in the garden, covered as needed. When the cold frame space is needed, the planter boxes will be placed in the sun by the greenhouse and moved back and forth as needed, probably on the few remaining days that get below 35 degrees or so. They will stay in the cold frame at least another month. By March the lower than 35 degree nights will probably be limited to a couple days per week at most.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have a dozen or so tomatoes in a sunny south window, along with 40 little pear trees that I am growing from seed. Will move them to the greenhouse in a couple weeks. Also, will begin new tomato flats along the way.

We have so many great days of pleasant sunshine weather, but have to be able to get those little plants to protection on those low 30s nights.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fun!

I was itchin to plant something too, so I put four tomato seeds in a pot. We will see what they do. Too early here for starting planting stock. I don't plant out until May 5.

Today: full sun, 17 degrees.

applestar
Mod

Haha I had to glance over and verify that it WAS James that posted the above. 17 degrees! Starting tomato seeds FOR FUN in January! :D

I started some onion seeds that have sprouted after 6 days and broccoli that sprouted after 4 days. Yesterday, I started some cabbages, kohlrabi (as a trial -- this might be a bit early), and asian greens (tatsoi and red pak choi) which I had started too late last spring so now I'm starting them way early. :>

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I reeeeeeeeeeally need to build a greenhouse/ cold frame....

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You would not believe how useful they are here in S.C. They can be used Fall through Spring. Fall and winter keep salad greens growing all winter long. Late winter and early spring, start cool crops extra early and give tender transplants an extra early start, fed with natural sunlight.

imafan26
Mod

I have a lot more tomato seedlings than I planned on. I hope they will last another couple of weeks. I did not intend to start quite so many seeds.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have so many plans/renos right now! I did give the man the ole..." You know what I was thinkin...?" Routine! We are going to rebuild out storage building to make it better. Maybe I can get some free old windows someplace that's doing a remodel! I can just build an addition to the storage building!

Lemme work that idea for a bit....new baby coming in April! Maaaaaybe we can do this this winter....(prolly not though. Wishful thinking!)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have an old barn, probably a hundred years old. It has a central area and two wings. When refurbishing it, I converted one of the side wings to a greenhouse by wrapping the walls with twin wall and the top with less expensive polycarbonate. A similar structure added to an outdoor building should work very well, especially if surplus double glassed windows or other glass could be used.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:We have an old barn,...
Alex, do you have to add heat at times for the plants in the greenhouse? What do you use?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I raise orchids and have to keep the temperature above 55 degrees or so. I'm cheap and always improvise whenever possible. We had an old propane water tank that wasn't being used. I moved it to the greenhouse, ran pvc from the outlet to a section 4 feet by 24 feet along one wall. from there I ran hot water pex in a wave shape to cover the area. Foil covered foam board was used as underlay and the pex was covered with pea gravel. PVC carries the line back to thr inlet line. A magnetic low amp pump is used to circulate the hot water through the pex grid and back to the tank. The system works great keeping the floor nicely warm and heating the rest of the space pretty well except in the harshest weather. An under $300 propane wall unit acts as auxiliary and backup heat. It usually takes about $600 per year to heat the 12 x 24 area which has about a 12 foot peak. Eventually I'll just use the space for tender perennials and will adjust the system to keep the minimum temperature over 40 degrees.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Very creative. I also work with whatever is available first, but have not developed such a unique way to heat my greenhouse. I have a small propane heater that I run when it is brutally cold. But the little heater was no match to last year's several days of low 10s. I have given up on trying to produce winter vegetables due to lack of sun and no desire to spend the money it would take to keep the temps high enough. I have the heater hooked to a 100 lb propane tank. I use it sparingly.

I am sure that 55 degrees is a challenge for your area a few weeks during the year. The $600 cost = propane cost? Do you sell the orchids?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The $600 is propane cost, which this year will likely be under $400. I'm in the process of scaling my orchid hobby back. A couple years ago we had 300+ plants and now have about 100 plants. Will likely keep dropping until we have about 50 plants which can mostly live in the house. I'll devise a subsection in the greenhouse, which can be kept warmer than the overall greenhouse which will be used for tender perennials which can tolerate lows of 40 degrees. Perhaps will add some lighting and will try to grow some winter tomatoes, some herbs, and a few other items that can't handle the occasional hard frosts that we get.

A few years ago, I stretched greenhouse film on the inside of the greenhouse, such that every surface is double walled. That helped significantly on the heating. If doing this project again, or if renovating the greenhouse, will likely use good quality double walled insulated glass for most areas and will use triple thick thin wall for the roof. Probably will just step down however, and build a less ambitious space out of all insulated glass. The height and the leakage really fight against me in this old converted barn green house. I'm also thinking of bringing the ceiling down to about seven feet. That would probably make a huge difference.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Is thin wall the same thing as clear 6mil plastic? I'm thinking I can maybe get going on something smallish (like 6'x6'x7') with some lumber, pvc, and clear 6mil plastic. It won't be fancy, but it will be functional!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Twin wall polycarbonate is pretty expensive but lasts at least for 15 years and because of its double layer channeled construction, has good insulating factor. It is a clear, rigid product that comes in several thicknesses. It comes in 4 foot panels in various lengths.

adabc
Newly Registered

I need a greenhouse, too. Today outside is still super cold in Maryland. Stay safe and warm for everyone

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”