Christian1971
Cool Member

Potatoes in Minnesota

Is it possible to start potatoes such as fingerlings indoors. Transplanting them outside after frost. If so, how far ahead can I start?

applestar
Mod

Why would you want to? Is there not enough growing season? Does the variety you are thinking of growing take too long to mature? (You might consider a different variety....)

The way I see it, potatoes are not good for transplanting because the underground stems are too brittle and fragile. You MIGHT be able to adapt this idea if you can create a growing area with appropriate conditions to thaw and warm up earlier -- maybe inside a green house or low tunnel?
:arrow: Fall Potato Planting

...but it might not be easy to do in Minnesota... What do you think?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, very difficult to transplant and not much reason to. Potatoes are very cold hardy and get planted a month or so earlier than the last frost date.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would plant sets 3 weeks before your avg. last frost date. In the plot where they will grow.

I know the weather is never predictable. I have seen frost in all 12 months here at this locale. You just have to plant at what seems to be a good time and hope for the best. I usually get around 120 days frost free. Potatoes planted May 5 will make a crop here. I usually plant a bit earlier though around mid April.

Occasionally a potato will be missed when harvesting, and if the ground doesn't freeze so that the potato survives, it will grow come Spring. So don't worry, just plant when you can. Even if you get a little frost after they are up and the leaves get nipped, they will still grow. Have fun!

Curious, how many frost free days do you get there average?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”